1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirror Reflection

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have build a setup where there are two RC motors to drive a mirror which is 2 dimensional. I have been thinking to write a program in Arduino such that after tracking (from solar tracker which i already made) the sunlight , the mirror should always be reflecting on a desired angle no matter where the sun is. I am trying to think of any ideas how this could be implemented. But I could not get anywhere, I hope i could get some advice on this. I am thinking to start with horizontal axis only for the moment. so how could this be implemented. If the Sun rises from East and sets to west I want the mirror to reflect on a specific angle all day, say its 30 degrees for example.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It seems like you need to start with some drawings, and then do some example settings to see what kind of variation you get in the angles.

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
  5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    Yes, I couldnt get that word heliostat in my head. Sorry, for my english.

Any ideas on how to implement it ? And I am using Arduino

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    Well that wikipedia link I posted pretty much tells you what you need to know. Another source would be the NREL.

http://www.nrel.gov/

A simple search for arduino and heliostat brought up:

http://www.solbot.at/ [Broken]

a little digging can answer your questions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Very good posts scutterbob. I'm starting to get the feeling that the OP wants us to do their project for them...

We can point you to information sources, Poor_student, but you need to do the work on your school project.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Mar 20, 2012 #7
    I was looking for some one to give me some information, not for some one to give me a solution. Please don't judge. Thank you

No personal comments please...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook