1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirrors and images

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    A virtual image is formed by a convex mirror that has a 30cm focal length. Where must the object be placed if the image is to be half the size of the object?

I know that since the mirror is convex F is negative (F is the focal length). Useful equations are 1/Do + 1/Di = 1/F, where Do is the objects distance and Di is the images distance. I/O = Di/Do, where I is the height of the image and O is the height of the object. And O/I = F/F-Di.

I'm not really sure on where to start could some one give me some pointers. :confused:

I = Ox(1/2) or 2I = O

F= -30cm

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2
    Hello,

The amplification I/O also equls to [tex]\frac{|D_i|}{|D_o|}[/tex] when we talk about near-axis light.
    Be careful and recall that the image is a virtual one and therefore [tex]D_i[/tex] is a negative value in Gauss' formula.

Best regards

4. May 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the tip :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?