Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirrors & Prisms

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    what is better ? a prism or a mirror (to reflect as much as possible wavelengths)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi sjon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A mirror affects all wavelengths the same, but a prism affects them differently.
  4. Oct 27, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sjon, if you mean a Porro prism, I think it is at least as good (if not better) than a mirror.

A Porro prism relies on total internal reflection and normally-incident transmission:

Code (Text):

| \
               |  |\
               |  |/  (90-degree angle in prism)
               | /
    The reflections are 100%, since they are total-internal reflections. Any wavelength dependence would be in the anti-reflection coating on the front (left side) face.

Compare that to a mirror, where the wavelength dependence arises from the mirror's reflective coating.

So, the question of which is better depends on whether it's easier to make an anti-reflection or a high-reflection coating uniform AND close to 100% over a wide range of wavelengths. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I am thinking that since binoculars use Porro prisms, they are either better than a mirror or much cheaper than a mirror of the same performance.

I found a better figure than mine for showing how a Porro prism works:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?