1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirrors & Prisms

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    what is better ? a prism or a mirror (to reflect as much as possible wavelengths)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi sjon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A mirror affects all wavelengths the same, but a prism affects them differently.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sjon, if you mean a Porro prism, I think it is at least as good (if not better) than a mirror.

A Porro prism relies on total internal reflection and normally-incident transmission:

Code (Text):

| \
    ------>----+--\
               |  |\
               |  |/  (90-degree angle in prism)
    ------<----+--/
               | /

The reflections are 100%, since they are total-internal reflections. Any wavelength dependence would be in the anti-reflection coating on the front (left side) face.

Compare that to a mirror, where the wavelength dependence arises from the mirror's reflective coating.

So, the question of which is better depends on whether it's easier to make an anti-reflection or a high-reflection coating uniform AND close to 100% over a wide range of wavelengths. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I am thinking that since binoculars use Porro prisms, they are either better than a mirror or much cheaper than a mirror of the same performance.

EDIT:
    I found a better figure than mine for showing how a Porro prism works:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porro_prism

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook