1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MisFOILing an equation?

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    Edit: See edit at the bottom of the post

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From a couple of common equations, derive a third common equation.

2. Relevant equations
    I [itex]X(t)=X_0+V_0 t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
    II [itex]V(t)=V_0+at[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Substituting II into I gives us:
    [itex]\triangle X=V_0\frac{V_F-F_i}{a}+\frac{1}{2}a\frac{V_F-V_i}{a}^2[/itex]
    Removing the first value on the right hand side of the equals (since [itex]V_0[/itex] is typically 0), we get:
    [itex]\triangle X=\frac{1}{2}a\frac{V_F-V_i}{a}^2[/itex]
    Perhaps I've made a mistake foiling this, but I got:
    [itex]\triangle X=\frac{1}{2}a\frac{V_F^2+V_F V_i-V_F V_i+V_i^2}{a^2}[/itex]
    The inner and outer terms drop out and a positive squared and a negative squared are both a positive, right? So, then after canceling an "a" and moving the remaining "a" and the 1/2 over to the left hand side:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=V_F^2+V_i^2[/itex]

But, it's my understanding that the final answer should be:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=V_F^2-V_i^2[/itex]
    Note the - between the velocity values, not a +, which I got. So, what am I doing wrong? Is the equation supposed to be a - not the + which I think it should be? Did I make a mistake foiling?

Ok, I did make a mistake foiling. The middle terms shouldn't drop out. They aren't:
    [itex]V_F^2+V_F V_i-V_F V_i+V_i^2[/itex] but rather:
    [itex]V_F^2-V_F V_i-V_F V_i+V_i^2[/itex] which simplifies to:
    [itex]V_F^2-2(V_F V_i)+V_i^2[/itex]

Still, how do I get this to become: [itex]V_F^2-V_i^2[/itex]? I could drop out anything with [itex]V_i[/itex] in it, since we assume that itt's zero and anything multiplied by zero is zero, but then I'd up with just a:
    [itex]V_F^2[/itex] instead of a:

Further edit:
    Ok, since I have a [itex]V_i[/itex] in the final answer, I probably shouldn't have dropped it to begin with. If I pull the 1/2, cancel an a and move the rest over to the other side of the problem (and remembering that V_0 and V_i are the same thing), I think I end up with:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=V_i*(V_F-V_i)+(V_F^2-2(V_F V_i)+V_i^2)[/itex] multiplying that first V_i through, I get:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=(V_F V_i-V_i^2)+(V_F^2-2(V_F V_i)+V_i^2)[/itex] canceling the V_i^2 I get:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=V_F V_i+V_F^2-2(V_F V_i)[/itex] then canceling out one V_F V_i I get:
    [itex]2a\triangle X=V_F^2-V_F V_i[/itex] I think.

But [itex]V_F^2-V_F V_i[/itex] still isn't [itex]V_F^2-V_i^2[/itex] -- what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Banaticus,

This equation is missing one factor. Originally, the second term on the right had a factor of 1/2, which you got rid of by multiplying both sides by 2. So after that, now the term on the left is multiplied by 2 (so that is correct), but what about the first term on the right (the [itex]V_i*(V_F-V_i)[/itex] term)? Once you fix that I believe you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?