Misinformation in the News (Science Says Fox News is Making You Dumb)

• News
  • Thread starter Cfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the study found that daily Fox News viewers, regardless of political party, were "significantly" more likely than non-viewers to erroneously believe that:* Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)* Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)* The economy is getting worse (26 points)* Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)* The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)* Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)* The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)* And that it is not clear that Obama was
WhoWee said:
Shall I just report you quick and get an expedited:rofl: decision?
LOL. Sure. But I did edit my post to capitalize "Commiespeak" and provide a link to the Communist Party USA, since Communist can refer to the official party, not just their ideology. Unless someone objects to using "Commie" as a shortened form of "Communist." :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
If Fox makes you dumb - how does this story make you feel?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

"NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL. Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this."

Perhaps the President didn't see this information from the USDA?
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22186207/detail.html
"WASHINGTON -- The United States Department of Agriculture, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by WSBTV.COM, has released hundreds of pages of new evidence in its high-profile investigation of NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

The newly released documents include summaries of interrogations conducted by federal investigators with member of Vick's dogfighting ring and with confidential informants in the case.

Among the most noteworthy revelations listed in the papers:
A confidential informant told investigators Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and killed "them with a shovel." Vick was also accused of getting an "adrenaline high while killing the dogs.""

Last edited by a moderator:
WhoWee said:
If Fox makes you dumb - how does this story make you feel?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

"NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL. Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this."

Perhaps the President didn't see this information from the USDA?
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22186207/detail.html
"WASHINGTON -- The United States Department of Agriculture, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by WSBTV.COM, has released hundreds of pages of new evidence in its high-profile investigation of NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

The newly released documents include summaries of interrogations conducted by federal investigators with member of Vick's dogfighting ring and with confidential informants in the case.

Among the most noteworthy revelations listed in the papers:
A confidential informant told investigators Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and killed "them with a shovel." Vick was also accused of getting an "adrenaline high while killing the dogs.""

Less annoyed than I do watching any 5 minutes of Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC. I also note... ...And our last president was an admitted former alcoholic (and snorted rails of coke), the one before couldn't keep it in his pants, the one before was part of Iran-Contra (and more) with the one before that!... and Carter... and so forth.

As for Vick, Obama, the head of the Humane Society... clearly he's perceived to have changed (plus he's winning). Personally I'd like to see him eaten by dogs, so my reaction to Obama, the head of the Humane Society, and others is INCREDIBLY negative. That is the direct answer to your question... it's annoying, but I wouldn't even know about it if not for this thread so... *shrug*. I care a lot more about wars, spending policies, the USSC, and plugging the holes that rats like Assange seem to find. So, in that sense, this isn't a blip on my radar... how is it on yours? I mean, I LOVE animals, but the man went to prison... what more can I ask for?

King is right, but of course most people can't play football and therefore earn money the way he does, so his life isn't exactly a level playing field. Honestly, the whole thing is a stupid distraction which IS the point of outlets like fox news, and msnbc.

I guess in the end I feel that some people just like to feel outraged in defense of their ideology, and now there's a network for both parties, and one for people who crave punishment through the eyeballs and ears. That's probably more annoying than anything else in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: