Missed class need some help again

• Thread starter chewtoy929
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, to calculate the distance something is above the earth, you can use the formula F_g = GMm/r^2 or mg = GMm/r^2, where F_g is the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the earth, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the centers of the earth and the object. Using the given information, you can also use the formula a = GM/R^2 to solve for the distance. It is important to note that using the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2) for calculations in this scenario would be incorrect.
chewtoy929
how can I calculate the distance something is above the earth? as an example a 1750 kg satellite orbits the earth. it has a gravitational potential energy of 1.69*10^10 J. Its free fall accel is 6.44 m/s^2 how high is it.

How would I solve this? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread movdd to Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, chewtoy. On homework and coursework questions, you must show us the relevant equations and also your initial attempt at a solution, before we can offer much in the way of tutorial help.

You appear to be studying uniform circular motion and gravitational forces. Show us the relevant equations from your textbook for this subject matter, and tell us your thoughts on how you might use those equations to approach this question.

Use this formula :

F_g = GMm/r^2

or

mg = GMm/r^2

tnutty said:
Use this formula :

F_g = GMm/r^2

or

mg = GMm/r^2

dont you mean use a = GM/R^2? If a satellite is way above Earth's surface, using little g(9.81) for any calculation would be wrong. the point of that equation is the gravitational pull ISN'T 9.81.

the force one mass pulls on the other mass is equal to gravitational constant 6.67...something * mass of object 1 * mass of object 2 divided by the distance from the centers of the objects squared:
GMm/r^2 = F

you know by now that f = ma

substitute for f, use your given a, and solve for r.

1. What should I do if I missed a class and need help catching up?

It is important to first reach out to your instructor and let them know about your absence. They may be able to provide you with notes or materials from the missed class. It is also important to check with classmates to see if they can share their notes with you or if they formed a study group to cover the material. Additionally, you can visit your instructor during office hours or schedule a one-on-one meeting to go over any questions or concerns you have about the missed class.

2. Can I make up any assignments or exams that I missed due to being absent?

This will ultimately depend on your instructor's policies. Some may allow you to make up missed assignments or exams, while others may not. It is important to communicate with your instructor and provide a valid reason for your absence. They may be understanding and provide you with an opportunity to make up the missed work.

3. How can I stay on track with the course material if I miss class?

It can be challenging to stay on track with the course material if you miss a class. However, there are some steps you can take to catch up. You can ask your instructor for any notes or materials from the missed class, form a study group with classmates, or read the textbook or lecture slides for the missed material. It is also important to attend all future classes and actively participate to ensure you understand the material being covered.

4. Will missing a class affect my grade?

This will depend on your instructor's policies and the importance of the missed class. If the missed class was a review session or a minor topic, it may not significantly impact your grade. However, if the missed class covered important material or included an exam or assignment, it could potentially affect your grade. It is important to communicate with your instructor and make up any missed work if possible.

5. What can I do to prevent missing class in the future?

If you are consistently missing class, it may be helpful to identify the reasons behind your absences and address them. This could include improving time management skills, seeking help for any underlying health or personal issues, or adjusting your schedule to better accommodate your classes. It is also important to prioritize your education and make attending class a top priority.