Help Me Solve Missing Step in Characteristic Equation

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a control theory problem involving the characteristic equation and simplifying algebraic steps. The solution involves multiplying both sides by (s^2+6s+20)(s+8).
Maxwell
I'm not sure why I can't see what step is occurring here, but I could use some help:

[tex]G(s) = \frac {30}/{(s^2 + 6s +20)}[/tex]

[tex]H(s) = \frac {k} /{s+8}[/tex]

Characterisic equation: [tex]1+ G(s)H(s)[/tex]

So,

[tex]1 + \frac ({30k} /{(s^2+6s+20)(s+8))} = 0[/tex]

Then, the step I'm not sure about:

[tex](s^2+6s+20)(s+8) + 30k = 0[/tex]

How do I get to that step? For some reason I can't see the simple algebra that is used.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell said:
I'm not sure why I can't see what step is occurring here, but I could use some help:

[tex]G(s) = \frac {30}{s^2 + 6s +20}[/tex]

[tex]H(s) = \frac {k} {s+8}[/tex]

Characterisic equation: [tex]1+ G(s)H(s)[/tex]

So,

[tex]1 + \frac{30k} {(s^2+6s+20)(s+8)} = 0[/tex]

Then, the step I'm not sure about:

[tex](s^2+6s+20)(s+8) + 30k = 0[/tex]

How do I get to that step? For some reason I can't see the simple algebra that is used.
Is this what you meant to write?

It looks like they just multiplied both sides by [tex](s^2+6s+20)(s+8)[/tex]

Doing a little controls theory are we? :biggrin: Yep, just mutliply both sides by that.

Yup, control theory. I don't know why I couldn't see that step, I think it's time to take a break. :rofl:

Thanks guys.

What is a characteristic equation?

A characteristic equation is a mathematical equation that describes the properties and behavior of a particular system or process. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and analyze systems.

Why is it important to solve for missing steps in a characteristic equation?

Solving for missing steps in a characteristic equation allows us to accurately understand and predict the behavior of a system. It helps us identify any errors or missing information in our equations and improves the overall accuracy of our models.

What are some common methods for solving missing steps in a characteristic equation?

Some common methods for solving missing steps in a characteristic equation include using the quadratic formula, factoring, and completing the square. Depending on the specific equation, other methods such as substitution or graphing may also be useful.

What are some challenges that may arise when solving for missing steps in a characteristic equation?

One of the main challenges when solving for missing steps in a characteristic equation is ensuring that all the steps are correct and accurate. This requires a strong understanding of the underlying principles and concepts involved in the equation. Additionally, some equations may have multiple possible solutions, making it important to carefully analyze and interpret the results.

How can I improve my skills in solving missing steps in characteristic equations?

Practice and familiarity with different types of equations is key to improving your skills in solving for missing steps in characteristic equations. It is also helpful to study and understand the underlying principles and concepts, and to seek guidance from experienced colleagues or mentors when needed.