Missing Bee Orchids: Craggy Bottom to Dingle Dell

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Upon inspection I found that someone had unplugged it from the wall. This is the third time this has happened in the past 6 months :( In summary, someone is trying to mess with me and my tv.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have been down to craggy bottom for a walk, on the way back i went via
dingle dell and up to s spinny ,to look at the bee orchids, but horror of
horrors, they have all gone, and all around where they grew is a circle
trodden into the under growth, i thought this very strange, what can be going
on?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I have been down to craggy bottom for a walk, on the way back i went via
dingle dell and up to s spinny ,to look at the bee orchids, but horror of
horrors, they have all gone, and all around where they grew is a circle
trodden into the under growth, i thought this very strange, what can be going
on?
What are bee orchids?

wolram - are you referring to this plant - http://www.uksafari.com/beeorchids.htm

Vandalism perhaps? :frown: :mad:

Protecting our bee orchids in Haverhill June 17, 2005 - seems they are quite scarce (rare?).

The bee orchid is a native plant to the British Isles. They are locally common on calcareous grassland, quarries and banks throughout Lincolnshire. Although the species is perhaps not as rare as people may think, the destruction of grassland habitat through development and agricultural intensification can quickly restrict and isolate colonies of bee orchids.

Bee orchids get their name from the shape of the flower which mimics a female bee. The male bee is tricked into landing on the flower and attempting to mate with it. When the bee moves on to another plant, the pollen it has picked up from the first is transferred to the next. Bee orchids can also self-pollinate which has led to many weird forms including some with a distinct lack of colour.
from the http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/news/press-release.php?article=34

Last edited:
Thats the one Astro

wolram - are you referring to this plant .

Oooh, that's pretty! And so devious...the poor male bees! :eek: :rofl:

Sorry yours have been stolen or trampled. :frown:

sorry to hear that.. :frown:

as a side note, when I was typing this post, my TV shut itself off

1. What are Bee Orchids?

Bee Orchids are a type of orchid that have evolved to look and smell like female bees in order to attract male bees for pollination. They can be found in various regions around the world, including Craggy Bottom and Dingle Dell.

2. Why are the Bee Orchids missing in Craggy Bottom to Dingle Dell?

There are a few possible reasons for the missing Bee Orchids in this specific area. One reason could be changes in environmental conditions, such as changes in temperature or precipitation, that are not suitable for the orchids to thrive. Another reason could be human interference, such as habitat destruction or pollution, that has negatively affected the orchids' survival.

3. Are there any efforts being made to find the Missing Bee Orchids?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to locate the Missing Bee Orchids in Craggy Bottom to Dingle Dell. Scientists and conservationists are conducting surveys and using various methods, such as DNA analysis and drone technology, to search for the orchids and understand their habitat requirements.

4. What impact does the disappearance of Bee Orchids have on the ecosystem?

The disappearance of Bee Orchids can have a negative impact on the ecosystem in several ways. These orchids play a crucial role in pollination and provide a food source for various pollinators, so their absence can disrupt the balance of the ecosystem. Additionally, they are an indicator species, meaning their presence or absence can indicate the health of an ecosystem.

5. How can we help protect the Bee Orchids and prevent them from disappearing?

There are a few ways we can help protect the Bee Orchids and prevent them from disappearing. One way is to support conservation efforts and educate others about the importance of preserving these orchids. We can also make efforts to reduce our impact on the environment, such as reducing pollution and preserving natural habitats. Additionally, we can help to monitor and report any sightings of the Bee Orchids in their natural habitats to aid in their conservation.