Finding the Missing Digit of a 5-Digit Number

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the missing digit of the difference is 6, as the difference must be a multiple of 9 and the only digit that satisfies this condition is 6.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a five digit number - no, it's not that easy
I rearrange the digits and subtract the smaller number from the larger.

The difference is also a five digit number. I jumble up the digits of the difference. Four of the digits of the difference are 2172.

What's the missing digit of the difference?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brute force , hapahazard hand waving and abra cadabras are giving me the missing digit as ::6::

Let me see if i can see through some technique here ...
interesting problem btw.

-- AI

The missing digit would have to be 6 since the difference must be a multiple of 9.

duh! ofcourse!

-- AI
**i should sincerely stop playing notpron, i am losing sight of the obvious**

i'm missing something, why does it have to be a multiple of 9?

eddo said:
i'm missing something, why does it have to be a multiple of 9?

Remember (10^k - 1) is always multiple of 9.
So, for each digit A , you have:
A*10^n - A*10^m = A*(10^n - 10^m) which is multiple of 9 .

What is the purpose of finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number?

Finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number is important for various mathematical and scientific applications. It allows for accurate data analysis, prediction of patterns, and identification of errors in data collection.

How do you determine the missing digit in a 5-digit number?

To determine the missing digit in a 5-digit number, you can use several methods such as trial and error, mathematical formulas, and digit frequency analysis. These methods involve comparing the given 5-digit number to known patterns and relationships in numbers.

What are the potential challenges in finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number?

One of the main challenges in finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number is the possibility of multiple solutions. In some cases, a given 5-digit number may have more than one missing digit that can fit the given pattern or formula. Another challenge is identifying the correct pattern or formula to use, as it may vary depending on the given number.

Can finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, finding the missing digit of a 5-digit number has real-world applications in various fields such as finance, engineering, and cryptography. It is used to detect errors in financial transactions, design and analyze complex systems, and create secure codes and passwords.

Is there any significance to the placement of the missing digit in a 5-digit number?

The placement of the missing digit in a 5-digit number can affect the overall value and meaning of the number. For example, if the missing digit is in the first position, it can change the number from a positive to a negative value. In other cases, the missing digit may represent a specific attribute or characteristic of the number.