Constructing Proof on Tangent Space of SL(n): Missing Gap

• Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Proof
In summary, the conversation is about constructing a proof for the tangent space of SL(n) and showing the existence of an A(t) with specific properties. The solution involves using an ODE and standard arguments from linear differential equations theory. The solution is A(t)={\rm e}^{Bt}, and the proof shows that {\rm det}A(t)=1.
Diophantus
I am trying to costruct a proof relating to the tangent space of SL(n). I'm almost there but all I need to show that if B is an arbitary constant traceless nxn matrix then there exists an A(t) (nxn) with the following properties:
i) detA = 1
ii) A'(0) = B.
Just a tip in the right direction would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diophantus said:
I am trying to costruct a proof relating to the tangent space of SL(n). I'm almost there but all I need to show that if B is an arbitary constant traceless nxn matrix then there exists an A(t) (nxn) with the following properties:
i) detA = 1
ii) A'(0) = B.
Just a tip in the right direction would be great thanks.
Actually, B is a generator for the Lie Algebra. But since this the Calculus topic, let's drop all this algebraic formalism.

Consider the ODE [tex]A'(t)=A(t)B, \ t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. (This should be no big surprise. Lie himself devised those famous groups by studying similarities in the solutions of differential equations, and his work is pedantically reproduced whenever a math software package attempts to solve a differential equation).

So, back to the ODE. By specifying the initial conditions [tex]A(0)=I,A'(0)=B[/tex]
standard arguments of linear differential equations theory, guarantee the existence of a unique smooth solution [tex]A(t),t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Let us now show that this solution also satisfies [tex]{\rm det}A(t)=1[/tex].Since [tex]{\rm det}A(0)=1[/tex], continuity implies that A is invertible at least at a neighbourhood [tex](-\delta, \delta)[/tex] of zero.
By differentiating for those t, [tex]({\rm det}A(t))'={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(A^{-1}(t)A'(t))[/tex], and by remembering the ODE, [tex]({\rm det}A(t))'={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(A^{-1}(t)A(t)B)={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(B)=0[/tex]. This means [tex]{\rm det}A(t)[/tex] is constant throughout [tex](-\delta, \delta)[/tex], and so linearity again grants us that [tex]{\rm det}A(t)[/tex] is constant for all [tex]t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Finally, the initial condition [tex]A(0)=I[/tex] requires that [tex]{\rm det}A(t)=1[/tex], qed.

Ps. The solution to the ODE is -not unexpectedly- [tex]A(t)={\rm e}^{Bt}[/tex]. This is a semigroup, so Algebra achieves a small moral victory in this finishing act.

Last edited:

What is SL(n)?

SL(n) stands for Special Linear Group and refers to the group of n x n matrices with a determinant of 1.

What is a tangent space?

A tangent space is a mathematical concept that represents the space of all possible tangent vectors at a specific point on a manifold.

What is the missing gap in constructing proof on tangent space of SL(n)?

The missing gap refers to the step or information that is needed to complete the proof of a theorem or proposition related to the tangent space of SL(n).

Why is constructing proof on tangent space of SL(n) important?

Constructing proof on tangent space of SL(n) is important because it allows us to better understand the properties and behavior of SL(n), which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some potential challenges in constructing proof on tangent space of SL(n)?

Some potential challenges in constructing proof on tangent space of SL(n) may include dealing with complex mathematical concepts, finding the missing gap in the proof, and ensuring the proof is rigorous and logically sound.