1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing gap in proof

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    I am trying to costruct a proof relating to the tangent space of SL(n). I'm almost there but all I need to show that if B is an arbitary constant traceless nxn matrix then there exists an A(t) (nxn) with the following properties:
    i) detA = 1
    ii) A'(0) = B.
    Just a tip in the right direction would be great thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

Reb

Actually, B is a generator for the Lie Algebra. But since this the Calculus topic, let's drop all this algebraic formalism.

Consider the ODE [tex]A'(t)=A(t)B, \ t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. (This should be no big surprise. Lie himself devised those famous groups by studying similarities in the solutions of differential equations, and his work is pedantically reproduced whenever a math software package attempts to solve a differential equation).

So, back to the ODE. By specifying the initial conditions [tex]A(0)=I,A'(0)=B[/tex]
    standard arguments of linear differential equations theory, guarantee the existence of a unique smooth solution [tex]A(t),t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex].

Let us now show that this solution also satisfies [tex]{\rm det}A(t)=1[/tex].

Since [tex]{\rm det}A(0)=1[/tex], continuity implies that A is invertible at least at a neighbourhood [tex](-\delta, \delta)[/tex] of zero.
    By differentiating for those t, [tex]({\rm det}A(t))'={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(A^{-1}(t)A'(t))[/tex], and by remembering the ODE, [tex]({\rm det}A(t))'={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(A^{-1}(t)A(t)B)={\rm det}A(t){\rm tr}(B)=0[/tex]. This means [tex]{\rm det}A(t)[/tex] is constant throughout [tex](-\delta, \delta)[/tex], and so linearity again grants us that [tex]{\rm det}A(t)[/tex] is constant for all [tex]t\in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Finally, the initial condition [tex]A(0)=I[/tex] requires that [tex]{\rm det}A(t)=1[/tex], qed.

Ps. The solution to the ODE is -not unexpectedly- [tex]A(t)={\rm e}^{Bt}[/tex]. This is a semigroup, so Algebra achieves a small moral victory in this finishing act.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?