Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing Matter

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    "Missing Matter"

Heyy Dear friends,
    I and two of my friends 'll start to make a new project based on "dark matter problem".We are trying to make a simulation on galaxies which have diffrent surface density that is one of the parameters we have to determine. There are also other parameters.
    However, we dont know exactly which program language should be chosen? If there anybody knows the suitable program name for simulations, i wanna help from him.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Hi physicsatiztech, welcome to PF! Missing matter problems abound in cosmology. Not just rotation curves in galaxies, but in clusters, super clusters and the universe at large. Numerical simulations are normally applied to such problems. The computational power required is enormous - even by todays standards. Finite element analysis [an engineering thing] would, IMO, be a great approach, but would require a very bulky computer [unless you broadly categorize the variables]. It is a hairy problem - even without invoking black holes.

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3

EL

Science Advisor

Yepp, if you want to do it in any detail you'll need a super-cpu.

5. Nov 17, 2006 #4

Wallace

Science Advisor

The standard numerical approach to this is to use what are called N-body simulations. Rather than re-inventing the wheel I would looking at some of the exisiting N-body programs. Try Googling 'NEMO' (with N-body, or you'll just get fish!) or GADGET (also with N-body or you'll just get cartoons!). These are both standard N-body packages. You'll need a C compiler, preferably on UNIX or LINUX to run GADGET. I'm not sure about NEMO but it's almost certainly written in C or FORTRAN.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?