1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing question paper

1. Aug 16, 2008 #1
    unfortunatly i have lost a question paper which has questions like y''+y'+y=sinx or =e^2x or =X+2-4+e^2x or=2^-3x+5E^-5e etc etc, i have the questions and answers for the y''+y'+y=0 format questions but none of the non zero questions so my question is 2 fold

first of all how do i go about answering y''+4y'+4y=2+3e2x

and second of all has anyone got leeds university MATH1400 sheet 4 questions for this year and if not which is the responce i'm expecting has anyone got any ideas where i can find examples of questions like this? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You want to set up the "characteristic equation" for
    y'' + 4y' + 4y = 0 first and solve this for the values of r which will give you the solutions y = e^(rx) for the homogeneous equation.

You will find that this has a repeated root. How do you handle that?

The next step will be to use something like the method of undetermined coefficients to find the "particular solution" for the non-homogenous equation you started with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?