Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mistake in book?

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    In book Modern theory of critical phenomena author Shang - Keng Ma in page 17.

[tex]\sigma_{\vec{k}}=V^{-\frac{1}{2}}\int d^3\vec{x}e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}\sigma(\vec{x})[/tex]

[tex]\sigma(\vec{x})=V^{-\frac{1}{2}}\sum_{\vec{k}}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}\sigma_{\vec{k}}[/tex]

Is this correct? How can inversion of continual FT be discrete FT? Thanks for your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The sum is to be understood as an integral over a comb of very narrow functions which approach delta functions in the limit V to infinity, i.e. think of the FT of a product of a periodic function with a rectangle of width V.
    The integral over the delta functions is then equivalent to a sum over their locations.

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    If the x-domain is bounded, the k-domain will be discrete. This is what happens for an ordinary Fourier series for functions on a bounded domain, or periodic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook