1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mistake in K&K mechanics?

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    In the section on approximation methods, the formula for the period of a simple pendulum of length ##L## is given by:
    $$T_0 = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}$$
    I am no expert on simple harmonic motion, but it is clear that the equation is dimensionally incorrect.
    The problem is, the power series used is in accordance with the (possibly) faulty expression I wrote above. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2
    Yes I would say that is a mistake - the fraction is the wrong way up. I had a feeling it was, but I checked and Wikipedia agrees. Their equation is given with a citation, but if you prefer, I have found Hyperphysics a reliable source of help with physics problems, and it shares my view.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted