Find a Mistake in Proof: 0,1,2,3 are All Even

In summary, the conversation discusses a "proof" that all numbers from 0 to infinity are even using induction. However, it is pointed out that there is a mistake in the proof as it assumes 1 is even when it is not. The conversation goes on to discuss the importance of the induction step being independent of the value of k.
Demonoid
Basically I need to find a mistake in this "proof".

I claim that 0,1,2,3...are all even.

I will use induction to prove that 'n is even' for n = 0,1,2,3...
Base case is n = 0, which is true, 0 is even. I assume that the statement is true for
n = 0,1,2,3...,k and consider n = k+1. By assumption, 1 and k are both even, and thus k+1 is even as well. This means that n = 0,1,2,3... are all even.

I can't seem to find a hole in the proof. I know that 1 is not even and when we add 1 to an even number, we get an odd number. But, by assumption 1 is even, so, what do I do know ?:tongue2:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try your argument when getting from k = 0 to k = 1.

If k is even, then k+1 is odd...

There is nothing wrong in you proof...wat you are doing is dat you are assigning a subscript for each even number so A0=0, A1=2...so by induction you r getting this peculiar result which is for the subscript...:smile:

As LCKurtz said, the problem is between 0 and 1. You seem to be tacitly assuming that k is greater than 1 when you say that 1 is even by the inductive hypothesis. But for k=0, this isn't true since k+1=1.

spamiam said:
As LCKurtz said, the problem is between 0 and 1. You seem to be tacitly assuming that k is greater than 1 when you say that 1 is even by the inductive hypothesis. But for k=0, this isn't true since k+1=1.

More accurately, his argument fails because he can't choose 1 and k > 1 to add together in the induction step because there is no such k.

The real lesson in this example is that in induction arguments, the induction step must be independent of the value of k, which it isn't in this argument.

1. What is the purpose of the proof?

The purpose of the proof is to demonstrate that 0, 1, 2, and 3 are all even numbers.

2. What is the mistake in the proof?

The mistake in the proof is that it assumes 0 is an even number without providing evidence or justification for this assumption.

3. How does this mistake impact the validity of the proof?

This mistake makes the proof invalid because it is based on an unproven assumption, making it unreliable and unsound.

4. Can this mistake be easily corrected?

Yes, this mistake can be easily corrected by providing evidence or reasoning to support the claim that 0 is an even number.

5. Why is it important to find mistakes in proofs?

It is important to find mistakes in proofs because they serve as the foundation for scientific theories and conclusions. A mistake in a proof can lead to false information and potentially harmful consequences.