Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Misunderstood expressions

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Read a post today where someone was asking for an explanation in "Lehman's terms." Oh brother! (pun intended)

Anyone have any funny misunderstood expressions to share?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

A friend always thought "crap-shoot" was "crab-shoot". He reasoned that trying to shoot a bunch of crabs skittering about would be difficult because they are small and agile. I laughed pretty hard.

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    "Pool sharp," was misheard as "pool shark" so often that the latter is now accepted as correct, and the former as a mistake.

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As a Brit, I sometimes have trouble with American names in phone calls etc. I spent months thinking Wayne Tygert was Wayne Tiger, and Randy Seager was Randy Seagull. (And as a Brit, it doesn't seem at all impossible that an American would be called Randy Seagull...)

The worst horror story was a Texan lady called Arlene, which didn't compute even when it was spelled out several times in a Texan accent. (The nearest UK equivalent would be Eileen).

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5

Evo

Voilà. Every day on tv I hear people saying "Wallah!". One day a member in chat said "wallah" and everyone jumped on them, they said they'd been watching a cooking show and had closed captioning on and since the tv celebrity said "wallah!", the caption said "wallah!". :frown:

It's voilà. With a "v".

@@@@@@@@@@

Au jus - "with jus (sauce, gravy, drippings)

You can serve something with jus as in "roast beef au jus".

You cannot serve someone a "with with jus" as in "Roast beef with au jus"

You cannot make a "with jus" as in "make an au jus".

But this is becoming another American bastardization, changing "au jus" from an adjective to a noun.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. Sep 18, 2013 #6

Nugatory

An ex-girlfriend once asked why the software that I was hacking on at the time was called the "eunuch's colonel".

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

One of my friends thought "lactose intolerant" was "lactose and tolerant".

9. Sep 18, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

One that I've always thought hilarious was reported by writer John Irving, one of whose characters is afraid to go swimming in the ocean because he was warned about what he understood to be the giant frog that lives there. The "under toad".

10. Sep 18, 2013 #9

Evo

"once and a while" (once in a while)

"For all intensive purposes" (For all intents and purposes)

"tow the line" it's "toe the line"

We had a mentor that would say 'treat them with "kit gloves", he meant "kid gloves"

11. Sep 18, 2013 #10

Evo

The "under toad", that's awesome!!!

12. Sep 18, 2013 #11

Drakkith

Lol, I thought "Misunderstood expressions" meant math expressions at first.

13. Sep 18, 2013 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

A mere misunderstanding of the misunderstood expressions expression.

14. Sep 18, 2013 #13
    "Begs the question" is one I would think would bother a lot of people here. The incorrect meaning is pretty much standard now though, so I don't really mind it.

Expressions that at least one person has misunderstood:
    I used to think "for which it stands" in the Pledge of Allegiance was "for witches' stands", and would picture a bunch of witches running a lemonade stand. It's not as easy as it might seem to brainwash a kid to be patriotic, I guess.

Speaking of which, I seem to remember some baseball crowds employing a common misunderstanding of the first few lines of the Star-Spangled Banner after Jose Canseco had a fly ball bounce off his huge melon of a head from whatever horse steroids he was on for a homerun. No, Jose couldn't always see so well.

I thought the doctor said I have eggs in my stomach when he told my parents I had eczema. I believe I had seen or at least heard of the famous scene in Alien by that time too.

15. Sep 18, 2013 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard a neighbor speaking about her son, who had started to misbehave doing something (don't remember the details). She said, "Well I nipped that in the butt!"

Probably pretty effective.

16. Sep 18, 2013 #15

reenmachine

Gold Member

How about the classic "I could care less" I keep reading again and again.

17. Sep 18, 2013 #16

Evo

That one kills me, we actually had people in another thread trying to defend it's use. :uhh:

18. Sep 18, 2013 #17

strangerep

Science Advisor

:rofl:

19. Sep 18, 2013 #18

strangerep

Science Advisor

What happens if an Under Toad encounters an escaped Pool Shark? Which one wins?

20. Sep 18, 2013 #19
    The Eunuch's colonel shall decide that.

21. Sep 19, 2013 #20

DrClaude

And why did Americans start calling main dishes entrées? Entrée means entrance, it is what you start the meal with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook