Why do we often misunderstand expressions?

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation revolves around misunderstood expressions and phrases, with some funny anecdotes shared by the participants. The correct usage of "au jus" is also discussed, with the observation that it has become a noun in American English. Other misunderstood expressions mentioned include "rule of thump" and "playing get it hard". The use of "I could care less" is also debated, with some defending its use. The conversation also touches on the use of other expressions such as "I should be so lucky!" and "Cool!" and whether they bother anyone.
Actually, it was called duck tape before it was called duct tape. It's also not very good on ducts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
Are you saying crescent wrench is a brand name of adjustable wrench formed as a reverse eponym from misspelling of the latter?

naw, just that they are two products that people call by brand name.

The first time I went to a fancy "sit down" restaurant, the waitress asked me; "Super Salad?"
I said; "No thank you. Can I just have a small salad, like everyone else? ..."

lisab said:
Wayne's coating. Rot iron. Lam-nut flooring.
Makes you wish a pool shark would nip them in the butt.

Evo said:
I can't remember how old I was when I finally realized that "duck tape" was actually "duct tape". I wasn't young. :redface:

So you're saying you weren't young in the 50's? :tongue2:

As Vanadium mentioned, duck tape, tape made from cotton duck cloth, was first used around the turn of the century. In World War II, regular duck tape was modified to include the 'rubberized' coating to make it waterproof. It didn't start being called duct tape until the 50's, when it started being marketed as a way to seal air ducts. As Vanadium also mentioned, the original version didn't work very well on heating ducts. Modifications were made to provide a heat resistant version of duck/duct tape for heating ducts and a cold resistant version for air conditioning ducts.

So, it actually does work pretty well on ducts... provided you buy the right version.

But it still doesn't work as well on air ducts as it does in removing unwanted back hair. The heat resistant version and the cold resistant version work equally well in removing back hair.

Evo said:
I can't remember how old I was when I finally realized that "duck tape" was actually "duct tape". I wasn't young. :redface:
Duck tape is not duct tape. Duct tape is very hard, very strong, very durable, nigh impossible to cut, and works extremely well on ducts. Duck tape is soft, weak, degradable, easily ripped, and should never, ever be used on ducts.

Back to the original topic: Twenty-plus years ago I was active in working with my kids' athletic activities. The last name of one of the kids on one team was Hebert. Being a transplanted northerner, I naturally pronounced that as He-bert. Boy, did I get some feedback! I had to remind myself that the South is Oz, and that the correct pronunciation of that surname is given by "A lion, a tiger, Hebert, oh my!"

D H said:
Back to the original topic: Twenty-plus years ago I was active in working with my kids' athletic activities. The last name of one of the kids on one team was Hebert. Being a transplanted northerner, I naturally pronounced that as He-bert. Boy, did I get some feedback! I had to remind myself that the South is Oz, and that the correct pronunciation of that surname is given by "A lion, a tiger, Hebert, oh my!"
:rofl:

If you're interested in Duct Tape you might enjoy this: http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/duct-tape-HVAC.html

D H said:
Duck tape is not duct tape. Duct tape is very hard, very strong, very durable, nigh impossible to cut, and works extremely well on ducts. Duck tape is soft, weak, degradable, easily ripped, and should never, ever be used on ducts.

*wonders if a duck could escape from being tied with duck tape*

D H said:
Duck tape is soft, weak, degradable, easily ripped, and should never, ever be used on ducts.

Hmm... something seems to have got "lost in translation" from the original product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_duck

(I've never seen a reel of anything marketed as "duck tape", but I know the term "duck sheeting" for the cloth used as weatherproof covers, etc.)

AlephZero said:
Hmm... something seems to have got "lost in translation" from the original product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_duck

(I've never seen a reel of anything marketed as "duck tape", but I know the term "duck sheeting" for the cloth used as weatherproof covers, etc.)

Doek tape? People would have started pronouncing it "Doke tape." Then, probably calling it, "Okey Dokey Tape".

zoobyshoe said:
Doek tape? People would have started pronouncing it "Doke tape."
If Americans heard it without seeing the Dutch spelling, they would probably have spelled it "Duke tape" (with a flat American u sound, not British English "Dewk"). But Dutch vowels tend to sound shorter than they look (at least to my British eyes and ears) so Duck isn't a bad approximation.

What's a flat american u sound? I would have pronounced Duke as Dewk.

Pythagorean said:

I could pronounce it either way. For example:

Duke Nukem - Dook
The Duke of wherever - Dewk (That's with a kind of Y sound after the D, right? Or like when someone says "Eewww, gross!" Deeewwwwk)

Pythagorean said:
His transliteration of the British is pronounced according to how we pronounce ew in the word ewe:

ewe
yo͞o/
noun
1.a female sheep.

However, we ('merikins) don't pronounce ew that way in many other words. Dew, for instance. We say, "doo". "Duke" and "Dewk" would both be pronounced "Dook," here, in the USA.

Now, what's interesting is that the British traditionally made their famous long bows from the Yew tree. It takes a true Britain to be able to hear if you are properly pronouncing both y's: yyew tree, yyew wood, etc. During WWII, many Nazi spies were caught when they failed this pronunciation test.

Whether Brits would call the Queen's husband the Dewk or the Dyewk depends what part of the UK they come from. But none of them would call him the Dook.

As for female sheep, the old spelling was yowe (with the "ow" part like the noise you make when somebody hits you) - and that's still the dialect pronunciation, in some parts of the UK.

Oh, right, of course, I always imagined Brits as saying du-uke. I guess I do say dook, I just saw dewk as duke, not du-uke :)

Evo said:
That one kills me, we actually had people in another thread trying to defend it's use. :uhh:

Please link me that thread :rofl:

Sigh. I don't speak English, I only write. I once made of mistake of trying to use what I heard in writing. I asked a Brit how many squids did he pay for something.

Me either. At least not the biology dialect of English. When I gave a presentation on synaptogenesis, I pronounced bouton as button.