MIT admission: weight of core subject grades

This was not my experience at all. Odds that a given student at MIT (where I attended graduate school) can think are much higher than finding a student who can think at LSU (my undergraduate institution). Odds that a given student can think at Western Carolina University (where I taught physics and directed the Forensic Science Program) are very close to zero. In contrast, by the time they graduate, Most students at the Air Force Academy (where I served on the Math faculty) have demonstrated pretty good capacity for thought.

Schools that require demonstrated capacity for thought for admissions and coursework tend to have graduates who are better thinkers than those that do not.
I hope you're fired, your existence was propped up by those students.

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I hope you're fired, your existence was propped up by those students.
I knew there would be issues when a colleague was leaned on in a faculty meeting to pass two students who had done 0% and 20% of their work in a summer course. My colleague was told it would impact his tenure and promotion if he failed them.

When the administration leaned on me to pass students who were not working or thinking in my physics classes, they promptly had my resignation. Rest assured, I have never passed a student who did not meet the critical thinking and quantitative problem solving requirements of my courses, and I've walked away from a couple teaching jobs to maintain my integrity.

Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Of course. Out of thousands of graduates, there may well be dozens of drones with minimal to non-existent contributions. But your original claim was "zero correlation."

Supporting the case for zero correlation requires more than anecdotal evidence of a few dozen light weights. You'd need a significant sample size and a suitable proxy variable for the big name school (like national ranking) and a suitable proxy variable for their contributions to science (perhaps citation count). I doubt any kind of real analysis would show zero correlation.
Have some faith in a person's experience!

(Some... I do not say precisely how much.)