Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT explanations on BNCT

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

I've read MIT explanations on BNCT and some other articles but Istill have some questions about it!(I want to know these in details) 1st of all which neutron sources is used for BNCT? Which neutron energy is suitable for BNCT and why? which methods are used to make neutron' energy suitable for BNCT?
    I'd appreciate if you introduce some useful articles regarded to my question!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Bnct

BNCT, as far as I know, doesn't use a source. They use either reactors or accelerators.

Energy is a bit of a sticky point - you want low energy neutrons to increase the boron capture probability, but you also want a well-collimated beam to point at the tumor. These two desires conflict with each other at some level.

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Re: Bnct

Here's an example from Australia's OPAL reactor on 'cold' and 'thermal' neutrons.

http://www.ansto.gov.au/discovering_ansto/anstos_research_reactor/opal_capabilities [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook