Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT gives free physics course

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, nice! Full course lecture notes, problem sets and solutions! :approve: Great find, you should stick this in the tutorials section.

4. Jan 10, 2007 #3

J77

5. Jan 10, 2007 #4
    Out of all educational material available at MIT-related websites, I must say that I can and do appreciate the large quantity of physics video lectures with Walter Lewin. He has a very dynamic lecturer.

8.01 Physics I: Classical Mechanics, Fall 1999
    8.02 Electricity and Magnetism, Spring 2002
    8.03 Physics III: Vibrations and Waves, Fall 2004

The above is about 100 videos (approx. 40-50 min each) for Physics I-III instructed at MIT.

While I am on the subject, he is also in some independent video lectures available over at MIT World:

Polarization: Light Waves, Rainbows, and Cheap Sunglasses
    The Birth and Death of Stars
    The Sounds of Music
    The Mystery of Light
    The Wonders of Electricity and Magnetism

While the five above is more of introductory rather than from actual course. Still it is an interesting experience to watch them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    Each one is more like 50 minutes (not that it really makes a difference).

7. Jan 10, 2007 #6
    Crap i just really wished they didn't use Real player as their format. Nevertheless downloading that crappy software to play these videos is worth it. Thank you.

8. Jan 11, 2008 #7
    If you have access to the itunes store, you can download these videos in mp4 format for free from the iTunesU section.

9. Jan 11, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google for 'Real alternative' it's a free implemation of the realplayer protocol without all the ad-ware and dancing hamsters of real's official player.

10. Jan 11, 2008 #9
    I tried with both Real and Real Alternative, and I just get a "Missing Codec" error. I can't seem to play their videos.

11. Jan 11, 2008 #10
    Do they have a real alternative or some other player that supports .rm for a Mac?

12. Apr 9, 2008 #11
    Just want to say thanks for posting this.

13. Apr 10, 2008 #12
    Problem sets are good and all, but you really do need video lectures to fully learn the material.

14. May 19, 2008 #13
    You-Tube also has the videos. I can play them fine from there.

15. May 21, 2008 #14
    Using Firefox, there is an add-on extension called DownloadHelper that allows you to "easily" download youtube videos into .flv format.

But I wish they would put them up in a torrent....

16. May 7, 2010 #15
    if you are on a PC download the k-lite codec pack

17. May 10, 2010 #16

referframe

Gold Member

This is great! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?