1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT Ph.D. Program after B.S.?

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    So apparently MIT has no M.S. program in math. I got this directly off their site: http://math.mit.edu/academics/grad/admission/. My question, then, is would it be appropriate (or reasonable) to apply for the Ph.D. program without going for an M.S. first? By the time I get my B.S., I will have completed 30-36 hours of graduate coursework anyway, hopefully with all A's, so for all intents and purposes I would have a Masters. Is this done, or is it assumed that the applicant will have a masters already?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Many people who want a Ph.D. apply for a Ph.D. program after graduating with a Bachelor's

Usually, a Masters program is similar to the first few years of a Ph.D. program anyways

If you really want an M.S., some schools offer you a Masters while you're a Ph.D. student (once you complete the Masters part).

4. May 4, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

As their site says:

5. May 4, 2010 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Are you from Canada, by any chance? Unlike in Canada, which requires you to get a Master's before applying to a Ph.D. program, science departments in the U.S. generally don't give out terminal masters degrees and just admit to the Ph.D. program directly.

6. May 4, 2010 #5
    Wow...I'm asking a question about MIT admissions and I couldn't even read the rest of the page....thanks for the answer though, and the other replies as well.

7. May 4, 2010 #6
    Really?! I was under the impression it's the same as in the US, meaning you can go for the PhD right after a BSc (preferably an Honours degree, though).

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    Where did you get that from? I think the U.K. is like that, not Canada.

9. May 4, 2010 #8

Mute

Homework Helper

I got that from doing my undergraduate degree in Canada. In science at least you must apply to the M.Sc. first. You may be able to transfer after the first year of your program but generally no one gets admitted directly to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree.

e.g., from http://physics.sfu.ca/teaching/grad/info_for_applicants/faq

10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Hmm, it seems some Canadian universities require a M.Sc., while others don't. I've looked at a couple of webpages, and a lot of them DO seem to require the Master's, but not UofT, U of Victoria, etc., for example.

But I guess funding is very much comparable to when doing a PhD, isn't it? Or is it only the PhD programmes that are normally being funded, whereas you have to pay for the M.Sc.?

11. May 5, 2010 #10

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The trend that I've noticed is that Canadian universities will generally admit to an MSc program, then, a candidate may request to transfer directly into a PhD program. Candidates directly admitted to PhD programs usually already have a master's degree. It depends on the school though. I think some programs still admit directly to the PhD program.

Canadian master's programs are generally funded in my experience.

12. May 5, 2010 #11
    So I guess it's more or less the same then as in US, with the difference being that in US you get admitted to a PhD, but can leave early with a MSc, whereas in Canada you get (usually) admitted to an MSc programme, but can switch or do a shorter PhD afterwards?

After looking at a couple of websites, I noticed funding for master's programmes is similar to PhD funding (TA, RA), is this really the case or have I just randomly stumbled upon such examples?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook