Which is better: MIT or Yale?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit Yale
In summary: You are student under Serge Lang? That's cool!In summary, Yale's more of a humanities place isn't it? Some psychological experiment to see how many people press 'I don't know' there that I just contaminated? I fixed the poll. MIT is an excellent school (#1 or #2, imho) for engineering and related math. Yale has some beautiful humanities courses, too. Bourbaki?

Which university is smarter at mathematics MIT vs. Yale?

• Yale.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • MIT

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
jhooper3581
I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mit.

Yale's more of a humanities place isn't it?

Also, why is it 'Yale' vs 'I don't know', missed an option?

Some psychological experiment to see how many people press 'I don't know' there that I just contaminated?

I fixed the poll.

I believe that most people will judge their answers to this poll on name recognition.

As a freshman at Yale I studied under Serge Lang. If you've never heard of him, you probably haven't taken higher math.

MIT is an excellent school (#1 or #2, imho) for engineering and related math.

Yale has some beautiful humanities courses, too.

Loren Booda said:
I believe that most people will judge their answers to this poll on name recognition.

As a freshman at Yale I studied under Serge Lang. If you've never heard of him, you probably haven't taken higher math.

Ahhh, Bourbaki?

To be honest, I think numbers, vector spaces, anything related with magnitudes is particularly boring. The stuff about what's provable, what's not provable, what's decidable in given contexts, that's a lot more fun.

Loren Booda said:

You are student under Serge Lang? That's cool!

ZQrn said:
Ahhh, Bourbaki?

To be honest, I think numbers, vector spaces, anything related with magnitudes is particularly boring. The stuff about what's provable, what's not provable, what's decidable in given contexts, that's a lot more fun.

It seems that I am standing exactly the opposite, haha~

MIT Pistol beat Yale Fencing. (See http://www.mit.edu/activities/voodoo/archive/pdfs/1989-Winter.pdf")

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think school selection matters so much in mathematics; instead, how hard you are willing to work is what makes the difference. So I would say they are equal.

yuqiao said:
You are student under Serge Lang? That's cool!

In 1978. He is deceased now. He was a very motivated man, gentle yet fierce.

MIT obviously has better opportunities and focuses more on mathematics. Yale's usually listed a bit lower on many different top school lists for math, below Harvard, Princeton, Caltech, and close to Berkeley. The most notable thing I know about math related to Yale right now is a freshman/sophomore who became a Putnam fellow last year.

Dude, I went to a state school for undergrad, and another state school for grad school. Who am I, a mere mortal, to even hold an opinion concerning the gods of heaven? :)

arunma said:
Dude, I went to a state school for undergrad, and another state school for grad school. Who am I, a mere mortal, to even hold an opinion concerning the gods of heaven? :)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ate-schools/top-mathematics-programs/rankings

I see 3 state schools on this list ranked over Yale :wink:

If we're talking about where to go as an undergraduate, I think the correct answer is: who cares? They both rock. Go wherever you feel most comfortable. It's not like you're going to be rejected from a Phd program because you went to Podunk Yale instead of MIT

Office_Shredder said:

Oh wow, my undergrad (U of M Twin Cities) is only six spots below Yale in math. Not bad!

Actually when I was majoring in physics over there, I spent my free time doing a second major in math. Most of the profs sucked at teaching and didn't speak English, which means they were probably world class researchers.

Certainly the graduate school rankings don't take into account how well the undergraduates are taught

Loren Booda said:

As a freshman at Yale I studied under Serge Lang. If you've never heard of him, you probably haven't taken higher math...
As a freshman? In the undergraduate curricula of many large and top U's, especially for the freshman, my take is that often one usually studies under a famous professor's TA, while the great one is busy with graduate students and research.

This difference in organization is pretty interesting, where I come from all universities are basically the same, what matters is the location, people typically go to the nearest except for some fringe stuff that's only offered on a few universities. Most people here also don't go to universities or college which is pretty much seen as an intellectual privilege here. Consequently what's called 'university' here is comparable to Ivy League and the all students are typically expected to obtain a Ph.D. which is also state-level, officially authorized by the Queen I believe. There's no need here to mention where you got your diploma because it doesn't really matter and a lot of students have gotten their diploma from courses at multiple universities. I know some one who got his M.Sc. in computer science from courses at three different universities and is now doing his Ph.D. in game theory in two different institutions.

I suppose there are plus sides and downsides at our system here. At least one thing is that discrimination is out of the question, universities simply have no right to refuse as long as they have enough spots, they have to advertise how many spots they have at the start and have to allow all people that have the qualifications on paper, that's it, no interviews, nothing.

Obvious downside is that it's capped. Universities are the top tier and no one can do higher, you can take extra courses, do two studies at the same time (what I did, in all flaunting) but that's it. Also, it's a terrible breeding of elitism as there is really no debate about what level of schooling is superior.

1. Which university has a better reputation for science and technology: MIT or Yale?

Both MIT and Yale have excellent reputations for science and technology. MIT is known for its focus on engineering and technology, while Yale has a strong emphasis on research in the sciences. It ultimately depends on your specific interests and goals.

2. What are the differences in curriculum between MIT and Yale for science and technology?

MIT has a more specialized and technical curriculum, with a strong focus on hands-on experience and research. Yale has a more traditional liberal arts approach, with a broader range of courses in addition to science and technology.

3. Which university has better resources and facilities for science and technology: MIT or Yale?

Both universities have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for science and technology. MIT is known for its cutting-edge labs and research centers, while Yale offers a variety of interdisciplinary research opportunities.

4. Are job opportunities in science and technology better for MIT graduates or Yale graduates?

Both MIT and Yale graduates have excellent job opportunities in the field of science and technology. MIT graduates may have an advantage in engineering and technology-related industries, while Yale graduates may have a broader range of options due to their liberal arts education.

5. Is it worth the higher cost to attend MIT for science and technology compared to Yale?

This ultimately depends on your individual financial situation and goals. MIT has a higher cost of attendance, but also offers generous financial aid and scholarship opportunities. It is important to consider the specific programs and resources offered by each university to determine which one is the best fit for you.