Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mitochondria evolution from a common ancestor

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    So this morning, I wokeup and thought "mitochondria!" Weird huh? Why? Well, I thought of it as just another "proof" of evolution from a common ancestor. Not that anyone with an education should doubt it anyway, but just that we and bacteria have the same intracellular organelles should be pretty obvious we came from a common ancestor.

My favorite response in the science vs creation thing is that science has no agenda. All science cares about is truth and fact, to understand a process. Religion has to bend the truth to make it fit their agenda.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2
    We do not have the same intercellular organelles. Bacteria have no membrane bound organelles at all. I assume you were referring to the symbiotic relationship between what once was a bacteria (now mitochondria) and another prehistoric bacteria.

Nautica

4. May 10, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think bacteria are our ancestor. So it would be the symbiotic relationship of a eukaryotic cell with a prokaryote? And nautica is right, bacteria don't have any intracellular organelles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?