1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mitochondria evolution from a common ancestor

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    So this morning, I wokeup and thought "mitochondria!" Weird huh? Why? Well, I thought of it as just another "proof" of evolution from a common ancestor. Not that anyone with an education should doubt it anyway, but just that we and bacteria have the same intracellular organelles should be pretty obvious we came from a common ancestor.

My favorite response in the science vs creation thing is that science has no agenda. All science cares about is truth and fact, to understand a process. Religion has to bend the truth to make it fit their agenda.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2
    We do not have the same intercellular organelles. Bacteria have no membrane bound organelles at all. I assume you were referring to the symbiotic relationship between what once was a bacteria (now mitochondria) and another prehistoric bacteria.

Nautica

4. May 10, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think bacteria are our ancestor. So it would be the symbiotic relationship of a eukaryotic cell with a prokaryote? And nautica is right, bacteria don't have any intracellular organelles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?