Mitochondrial DNA: Origin, Inheritance & Comparison

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary: The term DNA, however, was coined by scientists who first discovered these paired sugar molecules in the nucleus of cells.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I've seen the term mitochondrial DNA, several years ago usually in determining human migration. Never paid much attention. And recently I read that mitochondria is endosymbiosis, which is surprise me if not intriguing.
While I thought only chloroplast is endosymbiotic.

Perhaps anyone can fullfil my curiosity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA#Origin
Nuclear and mitochondrial DNA are thought to be of separate evolutionary origin
1. So, if we extract the usual human DNA (perhaps from nucleus?) from toe and from hair, can we tell it comes from the same person? I think we can, unless for some chimera cases.
2. If we extract mitochondrial DNA from toe and the usual DNA from hair, can we tell that those two DNA strain come from the same individual?

and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA#Female_inheritance
In sexual reproduction, mitochondria are normally inherited exclusively from the mother...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA
Since mtDNA evolves relatively slowly compared to other genetic markers...
3. So can we say that the mitochondrial from a newborn is almost cloned from the mother?

4. And lastly, can we tell human mitochondrial DNA from another mammals not primate, say tiger?

Thank you very much.

Biology news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
1. So, if we extract the usual human DNA (perhaps from nucleus?) from toe and from hair, can we tell it comes from the same person? I think we can, unless for some chimera cases.
Yes.

2. If we extract mitochondrial DNA from toe and the usual DNA from hair, can we tell that those two DNA strain come from the same individual?
Yes, the mitochondrial DNA extracted from two locations on the same individual should be identical. This method, however, cannot uniquely identify the individual as that individuals mother (and maternal grandmother, etc.) will all have nearly identical mitochondrial DNA sequences.

3. So can we say that the mitochondrial from a newborn is almost cloned from the mother?
Yes.

4. And lastly, can we tell human mitochondrial DNA from another mammals not primate, say tiger?
Yes. Humans and diverged from other primate and non-primate species a long enough time ago for their mitochondrial DNA to accumulate enough mutations for them to be distinguishable.

Likes Stephanus and BillTre
Wow, thanks @Ygggdrasil for your invaluable help.
Though, I think I want a clarification of this one question
Ygggdrasil said:
Stephanus said:
Yes, the mitochondrial DNA extracted from two locations on the same individual should be identical. This method, however, cannot uniquely identify the individual as that individuals mother...
Yes, I think mtDNA extracted from two locations on the same individual should be identical, but what I'd like to know actually, can we tell the mtDNA extracted from our toe and the nucleus DNA extracted from our hair come from the same individual?

Thanks.

Stephanus said:
Yes, I think mtDNA extracted from two locations on the same individual should be identical, but what I'd like to know actually, can we tell the mtDNA extracted from our toe and the nucleus DNA extracted from our hair come from the same individual?

Ah, I see. The answer to this is no. There would be no way to predict an individuals mtDNA from their genomic DNA or vice versa.

Likes Stephanus
Ygggdrasil said:
Ah, I see. The answer to this is no. There would be no way to predict an individuals mtDNA from their genomic DNA or vice versa.
Thank you very much. This helps me so much in reading other articles.

Can I ask again, perhaps off topics?
So, there are DNAs, deoxyribonucleic acid in mitochondrial aside in cell nucleus.
Adenine: C5H5N5
Thymine: C5H5N2O2
Cytosine: C4H4N3O
Guanine: C5H4N50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message#Nucleotides
I learn DNA formula from astronomy.
So, deoxyribonucleic acid doesn't necesseraly have to be in cell nucleus. It only refers to these pairs of sugar, right? And scientist coined the term DNA, because the first time they found these pairs of sugar was in cell nucleus?

Yes. Many names in biology are purely historical. Deoxyribonucleic acids are not found only in the nucleus. In fact, you will find nucleic acids even in organisms that have no nucleus like bacteria.

Likes Stephanus

1. What is mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA)?

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is genetic material found within the mitochondria, the powerhouse of cells. It is separate from the DNA found in the cell nucleus, and is only inherited from the mother.

2. How is mtDNA inherited?

Mitochondrial DNA is only inherited from the mother, as sperm do not contribute mitochondria to the developing embryo. This means that all of a person's mtDNA comes from their mother, and they will have the same mtDNA as their siblings, maternal relatives, and maternal ancestors.

3. What is the origin of mtDNA?

Mitochondrial DNA has been traced back to a single female ancestor, often called "Mitochondrial Eve," who lived in Africa around 200,000 years ago. This means that all humans today share a common ancestor through their mtDNA.

4. How is mtDNA used in forensic investigations?

Due to its unique inheritance pattern and stable nature, mtDNA is often used in forensic investigations to identify individuals or trace their maternal lineage. This is particularly useful in cases where nuclear DNA may be degraded or difficult to obtain.

5. How is mtDNA used in evolutionary studies?

Mitochondrial DNA is used in evolutionary studies to track the origin and movement of different species over time. By comparing mtDNA sequences between different species, scientists can determine their evolutionary relationships and how they may have diverged from a common ancestor.