1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mitotic Phase multiple choice question

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    I have this question and for some reason I think that none of the answers are correct

It says: If a cell takes 5 minutes to complete the mitotic phase of the cell cycle then it will spen approximately __ is interphase?

a) 5 min
    b) 1 min
    c)3 hours
    d)20 seconds

I think the answer should have been 4 minutes because interphase takes more time then the other phase which is mitotic phase. I had an example that said

If we consider a fairly rapidly dividing cell having a cell cycle duration of about 24 hours, then proportionally about 23 of those hours will be spent in the interphase and only about 1 hour will be required to complete the mitotic phase.

Im not sure how to figure out the answer SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your reasoning is right, but the answer is wrong. Reread your reasoning and look carefully at the information provided in the question. Ask if you still don't see what I mean by this.

The question isn't asking about a 24 hour cell cycle though. Stick with the information given in the question. There is only one possible answer (in other words, this isn't one of those pick the "best" answer questions, it's one with only one right answer).

4. Jan 28, 2005 #3
    im not sure is it 5 min because its not possible for it to happen that fast, it must still be growing etc?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  5. Jan 28, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if you have overlooked one of the answers, because you seem to have the right reasoning, but aren't selecting the answer that fits with that reasoning. Look carefully at the units given for each choice.

This is the key to finding the right answer:
    And in the question, this is given:

6. Jan 28, 2005 #5
    ooooooooh lol is it 3 hours because that is the most?

7. Jan 28, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes! :smile:

Though, not just because it is the most, but because it's the only answer greater than 5 min. If the mitotic phase lasted 5 min, interphase had to be longer than 5 min. Any answer greater than 5 min would have been correct, since there was no way to know the exact length of interphase from that question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?