Should I Sign Up for MITx Courses This Semester?

• Thread starter intelwanderer
  • Start date
In summary, the courses may be worth taking for free knowledge, but it may be difficult to convert it to credit. You should talk to an academic adviser about the conversion process.
intelwanderer
Hello,

so I've recently figured about MITx a month ago or so. I wish I knew back in February is all I can say! I've been going through the circuits demo and I must say it's really something else!

I just got the email about the courses for fall 2012. Should I sign up for one of these courses this semester? Solid State Chemistry is the one that interests me a lot, though Circuits is also a possibility.The trouble is, I don't want to overdo it on the technical courses(I'm taking Physics III, Intro Quantum, and Solid State Electronics this semester, and I need to do WELL, along with research. I don't really want to drop these courses either), and-while I love learning stuff for the sake of learning-I'm worried that the certificate at the end won't count as a "real class". Silly, I know, but my time is finite.

But I could be getting in on something really cool as it starts out. And after going through the circuits pages, I honestly think that this suits my learning style. (My university, UT Austin, is doing some online stuff of it's own. My intro Quantum course is mostly online, no textbook or anything, taught by the Assistant Dean who thought of it. Along with small groups instead of big lectures... I think this new style of teaching has spread around.)

Any advice? I'm going to show this to my family, maybe my brothers in high school could use it more easily than I can.

By the way, who else thinks that this is REALLY going to change a lot in education?

Physics news on Phys.org
My question is, do these courses give you anything, other than some free knowledge? Does it mean anything to take these courses?

intelwanderer said:
I love learning stuff for the sake of learning-I'm worried that the certificate at the end won't count as a "real class". Silly, I know, but my time is finite.

This is actually a big problem. If all else fails, you can take the course online and then next semester take the class for credit. If you've already done all the material, it should be an easy-A.

Also this is something that you should talk to an academic adviser about. Just from their attitude, you can figure out how rough it's going to be to convert it into credit.

(My university, UT Austin, is doing some online stuff of it's own. My intro Quantum course is mostly online, no textbook or anything, taught by the Assistant Dean who thought of it. Along with small groups instead of big lectures... I think this new style of teaching has spread around.)

Yup.

By the way, who else thinks that this is REALLY going to change a lot in education?

Yup. That's one reason that you should talk to an academic adviser at UT Austin. You are something of a guinea pig.

My question is, do these courses give you anything, other than some free knowledge? Does it mean anything to take these courses?
They give out a certificate of completion. I don't know what that is "worth" though. My guess in years to come, it will be recognized, but not right now. I can't predict the future though.

Also this is something that you should talk to an academic adviser about. Just from their attitude, you can figure out how rough it's going to be to convert it into credit.

Will do. Some advisors are great people. Key is to figure out which ones are, which I've done.

It seems as though the physics department is pioneering it. The engineering department is resistant to the changes though(I've just transferred from eng. to physics.

Unfortunately, it's going to probably be tough to change it to credit, just from my experience at UT. I wanted to take an upper level EE course this semester(Solid State Electronics), and the amount of **** I had to go through was unbelievable both because of the major, and because I was a freshman. I did it in the end though.

What I hope to do while visiting my parents is interesting my high school age brothers in MIT/UCB/Harvardx.

Last edited:

I highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunities offered by MITx. The courses are taught by top professors and cover a wide range of topics. The fact that you have already found the circuits demo to be "something else" is a great indication that you will benefit from these courses.

In terms of your concerns about overdoing it on technical courses, I understand your hesitation. However, I believe that the benefits of taking a course like Solid State Chemistry or Circuits through MITx far outweigh the potential risks. These courses will not only enhance your knowledge and skills, but also demonstrate your dedication to continuous learning and self-improvement.

Regarding your concern about the certificate not counting as a "real class," I can assure you that the education and knowledge gained through these courses is very real and valuable. While it may not have the same weight as a traditional university course, it is still a highly credible addition to your educational background.

I also agree with your thoughts on the potential impact of online education on the future of education. It is a rapidly growing field and I believe it has the potential to revolutionize the way we learn and access knowledge. By taking part in courses like those offered by MITx, you are not only benefiting yourself, but also contributing to the advancement of education as a whole.

In summary, I highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunities offered by MITx. It may require some time management and dedication, but the benefits and potential impact on your education and future are worth it. Good luck with your decision and your studies.

1. What is MITx?

MITx is an online learning platform that offers a variety of courses and programs from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It is a part of the larger EdX consortium, which provides high-quality education from top universities and institutions.

2. Is MITx worth taking?

Whether or not MITx is worth taking depends on your personal goals and interests. MITx courses are rigorous and challenging, and can provide valuable knowledge and skills for those who are motivated to learn. Additionally, completing an MITx course can enhance your resume and demonstrate your dedication to lifelong learning.

3. Are MITx courses free?

Yes, most MITx courses are free to audit. However, if you wish to receive a certificate of completion or access additional course materials, there may be a fee associated with the course. MITx also offers financial aid for those who cannot afford the course fees.

4. How do I enroll in an MITx course?

To enroll in an MITx course, you can visit their website and browse the available courses. Once you find a course that interests you, you can click on the "Enroll" button and follow the instructions to create an account and register for the course.

5. Can I receive credit for completing an MITx course?

MITx courses do not offer traditional college credit. However, some universities and institutions may accept the completion of an MITx course for credit or as a transferable course. It is best to check with your institution to see if they accept MITx courses for credit.