Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mix polarization

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    i faced this term in a special paper. i cant figure it out what it exactly means.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you provide more context?

4. Apr 22, 2009 #3
    sure:
    "Polarization dynamics are considered in the presence of an anisotropic Kerr non-lin-
    earity in the most common semiconductor waveguide geometry. The equations of
    motion are formulated in terms of Stokes polarization parameters and their Hamiltonian
    form is derived. Stationary solutions and their stability are found for plane-wave prop-
    agation. It is found that the non-integrable problem of mixed-polarization spatial soliton
    dynamics can be largely explained in terms of the equivalent plane-wave solutions."

sorry to be so slow to respond.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. Apr 23, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It sounds like the solutions- either solitons or plane waves- are mixtures of pure polarization states. If the polarization state changes in time (i.e. linear to circular and back again), the state can be written as a time-dependent mixture of two orthogonal polarization states.

Can you provide a proper attribution to the article?

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5
    can i understand it like this:

vector E and B are restricted by a series of equations.
    if we write it into components, the equations decouples into two decoupled equations. otherwise, we can say it is mixed polarization

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook