1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixed Derivatives

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    I am familiar with the standard rule of mixed partial derivatives in that the order in which you partially differentiate dosn't matter. I have just been considering whether the same rule applies if we take f(q,t) say where q=q(t) and we differentiate normally w.r.t t then partially w.r.t q. Is the order of these operations always immaterial in this case too? I can't find a counterexample but I havn't yet got a satisfactory insight into this problem.

Anyone want to enlighten me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial q \partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial q}[/tex] it doesn't matter. All derivatives must exist and be continuous ofcourse.

You could apply the multivariate chain-rule to show it explicitly.

4. Nov 21, 2005 #3
    Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. I was wodering if:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial qdt \dt}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\d dt \partial q}[/tex]
    always holds for f(q,t).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  5. Nov 21, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

If the these mixed derivatives exist and are continuous, then they're the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?