Is the order of partial differentiation always immaterial for mixed derivatives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard rule of mixed partial derivatives and whether it applies to cases where a function is differentiated with respect to one variable and then partially differentiated with respect to another variable. The conclusion is that as long as the mixed derivatives exist and are continuous, the order of operations does not matter. The multivariate chain-rule can be used to show this explicitly.
Diophantus
I am familiar with the standard rule of mixed partial derivatives in that the order in which you partially differentiate dosn't matter. I have just been considering whether the same rule applies if we take f(q,t) say where q=q(t) and we differentiate normally w.r.t t then partially w.r.t q. Is the order of these operations always immaterial in this case too? I can't find a counterexample but I havn't yet got a satisfactory insight into this problem.

Anyone want to enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial q \partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial q}[/tex] it doesn't matter. All derivatives must exist and be continuous ofcourse.

You could apply the multivariate chain-rule to show it explicitly.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. I was wodering if:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial qdt \dt}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\d dt \partial q}[/tex]
always holds for f(q,t).

Last edited:
If the these mixed derivatives exist and are continuous, then they're the same.

1. What are mixed derivatives?

Mixed derivatives refer to the second-order partial derivatives of a function with respect to two different independent variables. In other words, it is the derivative of the derivative of a function with respect to two different variables.

2. How do you calculate mixed derivatives?

To calculate mixed derivatives, you first take the partial derivative of the function with respect to one variable, treating all other variables as constants. Then, you take the partial derivative of that result with respect to the other variable. The order in which you take the derivatives does not matter as long as you are consistent.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of mixed derivatives?

The geometric interpretation of mixed derivatives is that they represent the rate of change of the slope of a surface in a specific direction. This can be visualized as the curvature or steepness of a curve on a graph.

4. Why are mixed derivatives important in mathematics?

Mixed derivatives are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions. They are also necessary for finding critical points, determining concavity, and solving optimization problems in multivariable calculus.

5. Can mixed derivatives have different values at the same point?

Yes, mixed derivatives can have different values at the same point. This is because the value of a mixed derivative depends on the direction in which it is being taken. Therefore, if the function is not continuous or differentiable in all directions, the mixed derivatives at a point may have different values.