Mixed two-way ANOVA analysis

In summary, a mixed two-way ANOVA analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze the effects of two independent variables on a continuous dependent variable. It is suitable for analyzing continuous data with two categorical independent variables. The main difference between a mixed two-way ANOVA and a regular two-way ANOVA is that the mixed version includes both between-subjects and within-subjects factors. To conduct this analysis, data is collected and entered into a statistical software program. A mixed two-way ANOVA analysis can provide information on significant differences between groups and the strength of these effects, as well as helping researchers understand relationships between variables.
catatonia
two-way analysis of variance

Hi, any insights regarding the accuracy of my analysis are welcome.

I used two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) to do the analysis on 32 participants, who were either in the control group or in the divided attention condition; all subjects tried to memorize two types of faces (typical/distinctive faces). Dependent variable-"face" (typical and distinctive) independent variable- "condition"(control and divided attention).
During the analysis, under "Repeated measures", I moved the factors "typical" and "distinctive" into "within subjects variables', and "condition" into "between subjects factors"; then under "Repeated measures: Profile plots" I moved "condition" into "horizontal axis" (Should I have moved it into "separate plots" instead?)..then under "options" i selected "compare main effects". After that, I conducted a "simple effects analysis"---Under "independent sample t-tests" I moved "typical" and "distinctive" into "test variables" and "condition" into "grouping variable".

What do you think? If you need more details, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first commend you for using a two-way ANOVA to analyze your data. This is an appropriate statistical test for your experimental design and allows for the examination of both main effects and interaction effects.

In terms of your specific analysis, I would recommend moving the "condition" factor into "separate plots" instead of the "horizontal axis". This will allow for a clearer visual representation of the main effects and interaction effects. Additionally, instead of conducting separate t-tests for the "typical" and "distinctive" faces, you may want to consider using post-hoc tests, such as Tukey's HSD, to determine which specific conditions are significantly different from each other. This will provide a more comprehensive understanding of your results.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid understanding of the analysis and have appropriately chosen the appropriate statistical test. However, I would suggest consulting with a statistician or conducting further research on post-hoc tests to ensure the most accurate and robust analysis of your data. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a "mixed two-way ANOVA analysis"?

A mixed two-way ANOVA analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze the effects of two independent variables on a continuous dependent variable. It is called "mixed" because it involves both between-subjects and within-subjects factors, and "two-way" because it involves two independent variables.

2. What type of data is suitable for a mixed two-way ANOVA analysis?

A mixed two-way ANOVA analysis is suitable for analyzing continuous data, meaning data that can take on any value within a range, such as height, weight, or reaction time. It is also suitable for data with two categorical independent variables, such as gender and age group.

3. What is the difference between a mixed two-way ANOVA and a regular two-way ANOVA?

The main difference between a mixed two-way ANOVA and a regular two-way ANOVA is that the mixed version includes both between-subjects and within-subjects factors. This means that the mixed ANOVA takes into account individual differences (within-subjects) as well as group differences (between-subjects) when analyzing the effects of the independent variables.

4. How is a mixed two-way ANOVA analysis conducted?

To conduct a mixed two-way ANOVA analysis, the researcher first collects data on the dependent variable from participants who are randomly assigned to different groups based on the independent variables. Then, the data is entered into a statistical software program, which calculates the main effects and interaction between the independent variables, as well as any other relevant statistical measures.

5. What can a mixed two-way ANOVA analysis tell us?

A mixed two-way ANOVA analysis can tell us if there are significant differences in the dependent variable based on the two independent variables, as well as the interaction between the two. It can also identify which specific groups or combinations of groups have significant differences, and provide information on the strength of these effects. This type of analysis can help researchers understand the relationships between variables and make comparisons between groups.