Calculating Final Temperature and State When Mixing Ice and Water

In summary, the question asks about the final temperature and condition of a mixture of 200g of ice at -5°C and 20g of water at 15°C after equilibrium is achieved. The equations Q=mcΔT and Q=mLf may be used to solve for the temperature, taking into consideration the phase change involved.
DBW3

Homework Statement

If you mixed 200g if ice that is at -5°C with 20g of water that is at 15°C, what will be the temperature and condition of the final state once equilibrium is achieved?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT, Q=mLf

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the amount of ice is to great to change with such little water, so I know the final condition will be a 220g block of ice at some temperature between -5°C and 0°C. Since the mass of the water is added to the mass of the ice does this imply that Qgained≠Qlost?

That's what I'm having trouble on, deriving the equation to solve for temperature if they are not equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead with your equations and whatever you know.i shall help you along.

Hi DBW, have you considered the phase change involved? :smile:

1. What happens when you mix ice with water?

When you mix ice with water, the ice begins to melt and the temperature of the water decreases. This is because the ice absorbs heat from the water to melt into liquid form.

2. Why does the temperature decrease when ice is added to water?

The temperature decreases when ice is added to water because of the process of melting. As the ice absorbs heat from the water, the water loses energy and its temperature decreases.

3. How long does it take for ice to melt in water?

The time it takes for ice to melt in water depends on the amount of ice and water, as well as the temperature of the water. Generally, it can take a few minutes to several hours for ice to completely melt in water.

4. Can you change the temperature of water by adding ice?

Yes, you can change the temperature of water by adding ice. As the ice melts, it absorbs heat from the water, causing the overall temperature to decrease. This is a common method for cooling drinks and food.

5. Does the amount of ice affect the temperature of water?

Yes, the amount of ice added to water can affect the temperature. The more ice you add, the more heat it will absorb from the water, resulting in a greater decrease in temperature. However, if there is too much ice, it can cause the water to become too cold and freeze.