1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixing Nucleus.

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    Me mate says that that you can make Steal from mixing Carbon atom and Oxygen (Transmution) :eek: Basicly stuffing arround with nuclues. As far as I can remember you can't touch the nuclues as the EM forces are too strong.

How wrong is he? We made a bet of $20 :smile:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2
    First I think it is safe to assume you mean steel (an alloy containing mainly iron).

Transmutation could be used to create new elements (via nuclear fission). It would need a nuclear reactor. However, this would be reducing the size of the atom (so carbon-12 to two smaller elements).

I have heard of making larger elements with smaller ones but I can only assume that only (relatively) small elements can be made by fission. Steel, anyway, is an alloy and it would take a lot of carbon and oxygen to make the iron and other elements needed (unless, of course, carbon was one of the elements needed).

As far as I can see you need to split the money or ask someone else in these forums.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Could someone correct my knowledge of fission and fusion in modern day reactors if what I have said is incorrect. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?