Mixing Light: Red+Green=Yellow? QED, Superposition & Photons

In summary, when red and green light are mixed together, the result is yellow light due to the phenomenon of superposition, where the two colors combine to create a new color. This can be explained by the Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) theory, which states that light consists of photons that have both particle and wave-like properties. When red and green light are mixed, the photons from each color interact and create a new wavelength, resulting in the perception of yellow light. This phenomenon can also be observed in other color combinations, highlighting the complex nature of light and its behavior.
cragar
when i mix red light and green light i get yellow light, but QED says that photons do not interact so why am i seeing yellow light, , I know they obey superposition , what does it mean for two photons two superimpose physically . how is the localized energy of the photons interacting .

Science news on Phys.org
What you see here is nothing to do with photons interacting.
It is a consequence of the way our eyes are sensitive to light.
The eye has 3 types colour receptor, each sensitive to a different overlapping range of wavelengths of visible light. All the various phenomena relating to the mixing and combining of colours depend on this.
Wiki has a good article on colour vision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision#Physiology_of_color_perception

cragar said:
when i mix red light and green light i get yellow light,

See http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wcolor.html" for all the gory details.

--John

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the scientific explanation for why red and green light combine to create yellow light?

The scientific explanation for this phenomenon is based on the additive color theory. Red, green, and blue are the primary colors of light, and when combined in equal proportions, they create white light. When red and green light are mixed, they activate the red and green cones in our eyes, which are responsible for color vision. The overlapping activation of these two cones creates the perception of yellow light.

2. How does QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) theory explain the mixing of light?

QED theory explains the mixing of light by describing light as a stream of particles called photons. These photons interact with each other and can be absorbed or emitted by atoms. When red and green light are mixed, the photons from both colors interact and are absorbed and re-emitted, resulting in the perception of yellow light.

3. What is the role of superposition in the mixing of light?

Superposition is the principle that states when two or more waves overlap, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In the case of light, the superposition of red and green light waves creates a new wave with a different frequency, which corresponds to the perception of yellow light.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the resulting color when mixing red and green light?

The wavelength of light plays a crucial role in the resulting color when mixing red and green light. Red light has a longer wavelength than green light, and when they are combined, the resulting wavelength falls within the spectrum of yellow light. If the wavelengths do not match up perfectly, the resulting color may appear more orange or greenish-yellow.

5. Can any other colors be created by mixing light besides yellow?

Yes, other colors can be created by mixing light. As mentioned before, red, green, and blue are the primary colors of light, and when combined in different proportions, they can create a wide range of colors. For example, mixing blue and red light will result in magenta, while mixing green and blue light will create cyan. By varying the intensity of each color, all colors of the visible spectrum can be created.