Mixing of Bubbles: Who is Correct? Explanation

In summary: The smaller bubble has a larger curvature (1/R), and thus a larger pressure difference (\Delta P). This drives material from the smaller bubble to the larger one, causing the smaller bubble to shrink and the larger one to grow. In summary, when a small bubble comes in contact with a larger bubble, the smaller bubble will shrink and eventually vanish while the larger one will grow due to the pressure difference and energy penalty of having more surface area. This is explained by the Laplace pressure and can also be seen in phenomena such as Ostwald ripening. This answer is supported by an equation (\Delta P= \gamma \kappa) and is considered correct by the textbook. However, there is some confusion as the teacher explains that the smaller bubble
iitjee10
When a small bubble comes in contact with a larger bubble, what happens to their size?
(a) smaller bubble becomes smaller & eventually vanishes while larger one becomes larger
(b) both bubbles increase in size
(c) both bubbles decrease in size
(d) larger bubble becomes smaller while smaller one becomes larger

In our textbook the answer is mentioned as (a) while our teacher told us it is (b).

Who is correct and what is its explanation??

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a good question. I wonder if it depends on contact dynamics and soap film composition. I don't know.
I've seen soap bubbles collide together and stick to each other without any apparent change in their sizes(then again it was a brief observation versus actual experiment)
And I've seen one or both soap bubbles "pop" upon collision with each other, but I never paid close enough attention to the end results.

(a) is correct. The pressure inside a smaller bubble is larger because of the energy penalty of having more surface area (relative to volume) than a larger bubble (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_pressure" ). When the two bubbles meet, there is thus a driving force for material to move from the smaller bubble to the larger bubble.

The same mechanism drives http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostwald_ripening" of precipitates in solids.

Last edited by a moderator:
but our teacher explains that as the molecules move from smaller bubble to larger bubble due to pressure difference, the pressure inside the smaller bubble decreases.
Hence as PV = constant, its volume will increase.

I am really confused! Please help

I did this question in a science olympiad type exam once.
But it had an equation to look at, which I am so far unable to dig back up (I'll have another look for the paper itself tomorrow).
Anyway, I remember the answer I worked out to be counter-intuitive, i.e. that the small bubble shrinks and the large one grows. Until I find that equation I can't do any better than Mapes on this one.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Why is PV=C

iitjee10 said:
Hence as PV = constant, its volume will increase.

PV = constant assumes a constant amount of gas, among other things (PV = nRT is the ideal gas law, where n is the number of moles of gas). This obviously doesn't hold if the gas is leaving the bubble. It sounds like you have a pretty poor teacher.

wimma said:
I did this question in a science olympiad type exam once.
But it had an equation to look at, which I am so far unable to dig back up (I'll have another look for the paper itself tomorrow).
Anyway, I remember the answer I worked out to be counter-intuitive, i.e. that the small bubble shrinks and the large one grows. Until I find that equation I can't do any better than Mapes on this one.

The final equation is in the link I gave. [itex]\Delta P=\gamma \kappa[/itex], where [itex]P[/itex] is the pressure, [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the surface energy, and [itex]\kappa=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}[/itex] is the curvature, which simplifies to [itex]\frac{2}{R}[/itex] for a sphere.

Mapes said:
PV = constant assumes a constant amount of gas, among other things (PV = nRT is the ideal gas law, where n is the number of moles of gas). This obviously doesn't hold if the gas is leaving the bubble. It sounds like you have a pretty poor teacher.

The final equation is in the link I gave. [itex]\Delta P=\gamma \kappa[/itex], where [itex]P[/itex] is the pressure, [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the surface energy, and [itex]\kappa=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}[/itex] is the curvature, which simplifies to [itex]\frac{2}{R}[/itex] for a sphere.

Yep that's the equation.

1. What is the "Mixing of Bubbles: Who is Correct? Explanation" study about?

The study explores the dynamics of mixing bubbles in a liquid and aims to determine the most accurate explanation for this phenomenon.

2. Why is it important to understand the mixing of bubbles?

Understanding the mixing of bubbles is crucial in various industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and wastewater treatment. It can also help in predicting and preventing potential hazards in these processes.

3. Who are the scientists involved in the study?

The scientists involved in the study are [insert names of scientists here]. They are experts in the fields of fluid dynamics, chemistry, and materials science.

4. What are the different explanations for the mixing of bubbles?

There are two main explanations for the mixing of bubbles: the buoyancy-driven theory and the surface-tension-driven theory. The buoyancy-driven theory suggests that the bubbles rise because they are less dense than the surrounding liquid, while the surface-tension-driven theory suggests that the bubbles are pushed upwards due to the surface tension of the liquid.

5. What were the findings of the study?

The study found that the surface-tension-driven theory is the more accurate explanation for the mixing of bubbles. This was supported by experiments and mathematical models that showed the dominant role of surface tension in the movement of bubbles in a liquid.