Solving the Example Problem: Tank w/Salt & Brine

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a tank containing water and salt, with an inflow and outflow of salt solution. The goal is to find the amount of salt in the tank at any given time using the formula dv/dt = rin - rout. There is a slight error in the calculation of the outflow rate, which should be y(t)/20 pounds per minute.
asdf1
there's an example problem in my textbook, but I'm stuck on how to make the first move~
"a tank contains 1000gal of water in which 200lb of salt are dissolved. Fifty gallonw of brine, each containing (1+cost)lb of dissolbed salt, run into the tank per minute. The mixture, kept uniform by stirring, runs out the same rate. Find the amount of salt y(t) in the tank at any time t."

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: [tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = r_{in} - r_{out}[/tex]

where A is the amount of salt in the tank and r is the rate of salt flow in or out of the tank.

rate in = 50 lbs/min * (1+cost)lb / gal

rate in = y(t) / 1000 gal

dv /dt = rin - rout

find the intergating factor and ...

Why's rate out = y(t)/1000 gal?

asdf1 said:
Why's rate out = y(t)/1000 gal?

It's not- there's a slight error. If y(t) is the amount of salt in the entire tank then y(t)/1000 is the amount of salt in each gallon. (Notice that that is now in "pounds per gallon". Since the solution is going out of the tank at 50 gallons per minute, there will be (y(t)/1000 pounds/gallon)(50 gallon/minute)= y(t)/20 pounds/min

Since mathmike got the inflow right, I suspect that was just a typo.

crummy... I just noticed I have a lot of typos in my original question! sorry about that! :P
thanks! i didn't consider the different units... :P

1. What is the purpose of solving the example problem: Tank w/Salt & Brine?

The purpose of solving this example problem is to understand the dynamics of salt and brine solutions in a tank and to determine the concentration of salt in the tank at a given time.

2. How is the problem solved?

The problem is solved using mathematical equations and principles of fluid mechanics to model the flow of salt and brine solution in the tank.

3. What are the key factors that affect the concentration of salt in the tank?

The key factors that affect the concentration of salt in the tank include the initial concentration of salt, the rate of inflow and outflow of brine solution, and the size and shape of the tank.

4. How accurate is the solution to the example problem?

The accuracy of the solution depends on the accuracy of the initial data and assumptions used in the problem. It is important to use realistic values and assumptions to obtain a more accurate solution.

5. What are the real-world applications of solving this example problem?

Understanding the dynamics of salt and brine solutions in a tank is important in industries such as chemical engineering, food processing, and desalination plants. This problem can also be applied to other systems involving mixing of fluids with different concentrations.