Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixture of hydrogen and oxygen

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    Does mixture of hydrogen and oxygen actually has to be ignited or the reaction occurs even without ignition when some critical H:O proportion is reached?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Nope, it doesn't spontaneously react at any concentration.

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In theory such mixture reacts even at room temperature, albeit very slowly. But I don't have access to any kinetic data, so I have no idea whether the reaction at room temperature is observable or not.

5. Aug 23, 2010 #4
    Which reminds me: if you heat the mixture continuously (starting at room temperature and gradually increasing but not to slow) at what temperature would it ignite?

6. Aug 23, 2010 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

In theory, diamonds turn into graphite at room temperature, albeit very slowly :wink:

Thank god for slow reaction kinetics - or we'd all instantly die in a ball of flame.

7. Aug 23, 2010 #6
    Actually I think I've found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

"The hydrogen autoignition temperature, the temperature of spontaneous ignition in air, is 500 °C (932 °F)."

That high! ...I would have thought it's much lower. ...No way; that must be wrong. (?)

8. Aug 23, 2010 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is only some kind of approximation, as autoignition temperature is surely a function of the mixture composition.

--

9. Aug 23, 2010 #8

alxm

Science Advisor

Sounds about right to me.

As Borek said, it changes a bit with composition though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook