1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixture of pure states

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let q be a mixed state which we mix from pure states.
    What are the weights we must take for the pure states, respectively? Let us
    start the solution with the two-state system.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem is I can't decypher what the problem actually is, from my knowledge a mixed state is any combination of (assume there's a discrete collection of them) pure states summed with weights that add to 1 so at best we get a n-1 dimensional plane of solutions (for n pure states).
    So I think I'm seeing this problem incorrectly, could someone push me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2
    I think you more or less answered the question, such as it is.

You should probably look up the "Bloch sphere" (or Bloch ball) - it's a neat way of visualizing the mixed states of a 2-state system.

4. Aug 18, 2012 #3
    The space of the mixed states is actually bigger than this - for example with a 2-state system we can build a density matrix using the 4 objects |0><0|, |0><1|, |1><0| and |1><1|, subject to the constraint that the trace has to be 1. So the mixed states of a qubit live in a 3-dimensional space.

(not sure if that's what you meant)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook