Mixture Problems: Solving with TI 83/App/Program

• Thread starter jzachey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary: I was hoping the ti 83 had a program or app to give me the answer faster. I appreciate your 2 cents.In summary, the problem involves a tank containing 1000L of brine with 15 Kg of dissolved salt, with pure water entering and draining from the tank at the same rate. The amount of salt in the tank after a certain amount of time can be calculated using the formula 15e^(-t/200), and after 20 minutes, the amount of salt in the tank would be 12.3 Kg. While there may be programs or apps available for solving mixture problems, it is important to understand the steps and equations involved in order to successfully solve these types of problems.
jzachey

Homework Statement

A tank contains 1000L of brine with 15 Kg of dissolved salt. Pure water enters the tank at a rate of 10 L/Min. The soultion is kept thoroughtly mixed and drained from the tank at the same rate. How much salt is in the tank(a) after t minutes and (b) after 20 minutes

Homework Equations

∫[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=(rate in)-(rate out)

The Attempt at a Solution

A.)15e^(-t/200)
B.)12.3 Kg

-------Okay, I knew the answer to this but this isn't what I wanted to ask but I hope it can help you to help me.

Can someone help me find a formula on the ti 83 to give the answers faster?(so I can check) or a program/app that helps with mixture problems? (also known as separable equations used in differential equations in Calculus II)

Physics news on Phys.org
jzachey said:

Homework Statement

A tank contains 1000L of brine with 15 Kg of dissolved salt. Pure water enters the tank at a rate of 10 L/Min. The soultion is kept thoroughtly mixed and drained from the tank at the same rate. How much salt is in the tank(a) after t minutes and (b) after 20 minutes

Homework Equations

∫[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=(rate in)-(rate out)

The Attempt at a Solution

A.)15e^(-t/200)
B.)12.3 Kg

-------Okay, I knew the answer to this but this isn't what I wanted to ask but I hope it can help you to help me.

Can someone help me find a formula on the ti 83 to give the answers faster?(so I can check) or a program/app that helps with mixture problems? (also known as separable equations used in differential equations in Calculus II)
I doubt very much that there is something on the TI 83 that would help here, and I consider this to be a good thing. It might be that someone somewhere has a Web site that let's you enter the parameters in a mixture problem, but I have no idea where one might be, and not much interest in looking for one.

The best way to learn to do these problems is, IMO, to sit down with a piece of paper and write down the differential equation that represents the situation, and then solve the differential equation - by hand.

If you had a job in which your sole responsibility was to solve mixture problems all day, day in and day out, then automating this task to speed it up would make sense. But that's not your situation. Your job is to understand how to extract the important information from a word problem, and go through (and understand!) the steps to finding a solution. The key here is understanding, not speed.

My $.02

Mark44 said:
I doubt very much that there is something on the TI 83 that would help here, and I consider this to be a good thing. It might be that someone somewhere has a Web site that let's you enter the parameters in a mixture problem, but I have no idea where one might be, and not much interest in looking for one.

The best way to learn to do these problems is, IMO, to sit down with a piece of paper and write down the differential equation that represents the situation, and then solve the differential equation - by hand.

If you had a job in which your sole responsibility was to solve mixture problems all day, day in and day out, then automating this task to speed it up would make sense. But that's not your situation. Your job is to understand how to extract the important information from a word problem, and go through (and understand!) the steps to finding a solution. The key here is understanding, not speed.

My $.02

Very well said!

RGV

Mark44 said:
Your job is to understand how to extract the important information from a word problem, and go through (and understand!) the steps to finding a solution. The key here is understanding, not speed.

My $.02

Thank you Mark44, I understand this problem by heart already, but kindly understand it's a bit time consuming on tests, quizzes so forth.often when your on a limited time frame.

1. How do I enter a mixture problem into my TI 83/App/Program?

To enter a mixture problem into your TI 83/App/Program, first identify the quantities and their units. Then use the appropriate function on your calculator to set up the problem. For example, for a two-part mixture problem, use the "Mix" function and enter the quantities and units as prompted.

2. How do I solve mixture problems using my TI 83/App/Program?

To solve mixture problems using your TI 83/App/Program, first enter the problem into the calculator using the appropriate function. Then use the "Solve" or "SolveN" function to find the solution. Make sure to double check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. Can my TI 83/App/Program solve all types of mixture problems?

While the TI 83/App/Program can solve many types of mixture problems, it may not be able to handle every single variation. It is important to understand the limitations of your calculator and to be familiar with alternative methods for solving mixture problems.

4. How accurate are the solutions provided by my TI 83/App/Program for mixture problems?

The accuracy of the solutions provided by your TI 83/App/Program for mixture problems depends on the accuracy of the numbers and units entered and the complexity of the problem. It is important to double check your work and use appropriate rounding techniques to ensure the most accurate solution.

5. Can I use my TI 83/App/Program to solve mixture problems with more than two parts?

Yes, you can use your TI 83/App/Program to solve mixture problems with more than two parts. Simply use the appropriate function for multi-part mixtures and enter the quantities and units as prompted. Keep in mind that the more parts there are, the more complex the problem may become.