Mk111 Variable interval timer

In summary, the conversation is about using a MK111 variable interval timer for a university project involving a free-flight glider. The person needs help with the connections on the relay (J2) in order to power an electric motor for a specific amount of time before pausing. The suggested solution is to connect the motor to the relay's COM (common) and NO (Normally Open) terminals, with the other motor terminal connecting to the -12V from the battery. This will allow the motor to turn on when the relay is energized, and it can be reversed by connecting the motor between the NC (Normally Closed) and -12V.
rc flyer uk
I hae built a MK111 variable interval timer http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25224&criteria=TIMER%20KITS&doy=6m1"

and intend to use it for a free-flight glider which is a university project!

I wish for the timer to power an electric motor for 2sec and then pause for a desired time peroid such as 5sec before having another 2 sec of power to the motor! Which is exactley what the circuit is for!

My question is regarding the conections on J2 which are NO, NC and COM these are from the relay.

I can curently get the motor to run through the circuit but cannont get it to interrupt the motor as required!

How should the motor be wired to the conections on J2? ie the motor and the battery??

The instructions/ circuit diagram can be found here:

http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/manual_mk111.pdf"

any help would be much aprciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not for sure exactly how your relay is connected on the PCB, but I'm assuming your motor is rated for 12V (check this!). You would probably want to connect +12V (from the battery) to the relay's COM (common) and then hook your motor up to the NO (Normally Open) terminal. Your other motor terminal would then connect to your -12V (from the battery). This way the motor would turn on when the relay was energized. You could reverse this operation by hooking your motor between the NC (Normally Closed) and -12V.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on successfully building the MK111 variable interval timer! It sounds like a great project for your university project.

Regarding your question about the connections on J2, the NO, NC, and COM terminals refer to the normally open, normally closed, and common terminals of the relay. These are used to control the flow of electricity to the motor.

To wire the motor to these connections, you will need to connect the positive (+) terminal of the motor to the COM terminal, and the negative (-) terminal of the motor to either the NO or NC terminal. This will depend on whether you want the motor to be powered when the timer is on or off. You can experiment with both to see which one gives you the desired result.

In addition, make sure that the battery is connected to the appropriate terminals on the circuit according to the instructions. This will ensure that the timer is providing power to the motor when it is supposed to.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer?

The Mk111 Variable Interval Timer is a device used for measuring and controlling the time intervals between events. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial processes to precisely time events and collect data.

2. How does the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer work?

The Mk111 Variable Interval Timer works by using an electronic circuit to generate a precise and adjustable interval between electrical pulses. These pulses can be used to trigger events or measure the time between them.

3. What are the key features of the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer?

The Mk111 Variable Interval Timer has several key features, including adjustable time intervals, a wide range of frequency options, and precise timing accuracy. It also has the ability to trigger external events and can be controlled remotely.

4. Can the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer be used in different environments?

Yes, the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer is designed to be used in a variety of environments, including laboratory settings and industrial settings. It is built to withstand high temperatures and other harsh conditions.

5. How accurate is the timing of the Mk111 Variable Interval Timer?

The Mk111 Variable Interval Timer has a timing accuracy of up to 1 millisecond, making it highly precise and reliable for scientific experiments and other applications that require precise timing.

Back