1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ML inequality question

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    Having trouble with this question:

The question is: establish the inequality

|[itex]\int[/itex]eizzdz| [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\pi[/itex](1-e-R2)/4R

on C {z(t) = Reit, t [itex]\in[/itex] [0,[itex]\pi[/itex]/4, R>0

When i saw the modulus of an integral i thought ML inequality.

I think the length will be R[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 but im struggling with finding the maximum of eizz. I tried changing to ei(r2(cos(2t)+isin(2t). but i dont feel any closer to the result.

Am i on the right track, and can anyone help me with finding the max of the function.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    Yes, you're on the right track. Convert it to sines and cosines:

[tex]R\int_{0}^{\pi/4} e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)+iR^2 \cos(2t)} ie^{it}dt[/tex]

and the absolute value of that is less than:

[tex]R\int_0^{\pi/4} e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)}dt[/tex]

now, draw the plot of sin(2x) over the range of 0 and pi/4 and can you see that:

[tex]\left|e^{-R^2\sin(2t)}\right|<e^{-R^2(4t/\pi)}[/tex]

Draw the line [itex]y=\frac{4}{\pi}t[/itex] over sin(2t) to see that.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    im now more confused...

are you saying i dont need the ML inequality?

I dont understand where the R in the first line comes from? and where do you go from the last line to get closer to the solution?

im sorry i havnt understood

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4
    Been out. I'm just placing an upper bound on the integrand. The R comes from letting [itex]z=Re^{it}[/itex] so when you substitute that into the integral, you get:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/4} e^{i R^2 e^{2it}} Ri e^{it} dt[/tex]

right?

Now, convert that all to sines and cosines to get:

[tex]Ri\int_{0}^{\pi/4} e^{iR^2(cos 2t+i\sin 2t)}e^{it}dt[/tex]

now the absolute value of that:

[tex]\biggr|Ri\int_{0}^{\pi/4} e^{iR^2(cos 2t+i\sin 2t)}e^{it}dt\biggr|\leq R\int_0^{\pi/4} e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)}dt[/tex]

right? Now, that's when we place an upper bound on the integrand by using the line [itex]y=4/\pi t[/itex]

Draw that line and [itex]\sin(2t)[/itex] to see that it's underneath the sine function so that we can write:

[tex]\biggr|Ri\int_{0}^{\pi/4} e^{iR^2(cos 2t+i\sin 2t)}e^{it}dt\biggr|\leq R\int_0^{\pi/4} e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)}dt\leq\biggr|\int_0^{\pi/4} e^{-R^2(4t/\pi)}dt\biggr|[/tex]

and that you can integrate directly.

6. Sep 21, 2011 #5
    Hey Jackmell,

could you please explain how you would show that the magnitudes of some of the things in this integral are equal to one? i understand for eit but not for eiR2cos(2t)

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6
    You know:

[tex]|e^{iv}|=1[/tex]

for any v right? Ok, then there you go:

[tex]\left|e^{iR^2(\cos(2t)+i\sin(2t)}\right|=\left|e^{-R^2\sin(2t)+iR^2\cos(2t)}\right|[/tex]

and the absolute value of that i-part is going to be one right?

[tex]=\left|e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)\left(\cos(R^2\cos(2t))+i\sin(R^2 \cos(2t))\right)}\right|[/tex]

[tex]=\left|e^{-R^2 \sin(2t)}\right|[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook