Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MMC for Tesla coil, inquery

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    MMC for Tesla coil, inquery....

Hello all,
    Every project of mine starts like this... I first need to consider my budget.

So, I am wanting to build a Tesla coil. I can get everything needed for this, but I have concerns about the primary capacitor. As I have looked all about the internet for a forum for Tesla coil fanatics, I have found none and I come to you all. Might you help? Okay, so the capacitor is exposed to intensely high voltages at a really high charge/discharge frequency (appx. 150kHz). An option for the capacitor is to use an MMC array. This is simply an array of several small caps together. As I have read online, these arrays call for a multitude of caps in the low capacitance and high voltage range. Usually scaling appx. 0.0x uF with x000 volt-ability. However, I have like, literally, hundreds of caps that are not quite on this scale. They are 4 uF, 300v caps. According to my math, I can put about 200 in series and end up with just about the right total values needed. They would be perfect because they already have a resistor built into they too. So, that all works out, but the question: Is this a good idea?

This seems to work mathematically and financially, but practically? Is there something I am missing here? I do not mind making this huge array if I can save a buck.

Thanks for your help. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Nick

"This free lunch is greasy. This lunch grease can fuel my car. The American Dream is a paradox, and the Pope only visits occasionally."

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Save a buck on what?

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    These caps, the 4uF ones, I have already. I have like 1000 of them, and I'd like to use them for something. They make terrible jewelry, and they are Japanese- from the 1980's, and I want to use them for something... for my Karma. Oh, I will weep to all those that have passed and lie in sorrowful misery each night until I use these capacitors for something. I mean, it was my friend that "found" the box of caps on a semi. I was just dressed up as a sheriff's deputy for a costume party. What a mess... Science, though is the solution. Thank you all. My blessings.

Yeah, I don't want to buy any others. Will these 4uF caps work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?