Mobility of charged particles in classical gas

Your name]In summary, the problem discusses how the stationary Boltzmann equation can be used to derive the mobility of charged particles in a classical gas, which is given by a formula involving the mean value of the velocity and the classical electron mass. This is because the equation is derived from classical mechanics and does not take into account band structure and effective mass. The final answer also considers all possible velocities at a given energy, not just the average velocity of the electrons in the system.
Sigurdsson
This is problem 9.2 in solid state physics by Ibach and Luth.

Homework Statement

Using the stationary Boltzmann equation, show that the mobility of the charged particles in a classical gas is given by

[itex] \mu = \frac{e \langle v^2 \tau(\mathbf{k}) \rangle}{m \langle v^2 \rangle} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The stationary Boltzmann equation is
[itex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla_{\mathbf{r}} f - \frac{e}{\hbar} \vec{\mathscr{E}} \cdot \nabla_{\mathbf{k}} f = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \right)_s = -\frac{f(\mathbf{k}) - f_0(\mathbf{k}) }{\tau(\mathbf{k} ) } [/itex]

The mobility is defined as the proportionality between the drift velocity of the electrons and the electric field
[itex] -\frac{v_D}{\mathscr{E} } = \mu [/itex]

and the function [itex] f [/itex] is the fermi distribution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the first thing I notice is the in the final answer we have the electron mass [itex] m [/itex] but not the effective mass [itex] m^* [/itex]. Now I'm going to assume that the distribution does not depend on position so we have
[itex]- \frac{e}{\hbar} \vec{\mathscr{E}} \cdot \nabla_{\mathbf{k}} f = -\frac{f(\mathbf{k}) - f_0(\mathbf{k}) }{\tau(\mathbf{k} ) } [/itex]

The term on the left is called drift term. From there we should get the drift velocity. The electrical conductivity is
[itex] \sigma = j/\mathscr{E} = n e \mu [/itex]

Where [itex] j, e, n [/itex] are in correct order the current density, electron charge, electron density.

Now I have that
[itex] \sigma = j_x/\mathscr{E}_x = \simeq \frac{e^2}{8 \pi^3 \hbar} \int_{E = E_F} \frac{v_x^2(\mathbf{k}) }{v(\mathbf{k})} \tau(\mathbf{k}) \ df_E [/itex]

What is really bugging me is the final answer has the mean value of the velocity and the classical mass of the electron but not the effective mass. Any tips on what happens when I'm working with the Boltzmann equation in classical electron gas?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your question. The final answer for the mobility in the classical gas does indeed include the electron mass, not the effective mass. This is because the stationary Boltzmann equation is derived from classical mechanics, which does not take into account the effects of band structure and effective mass. Therefore, the equation only considers the classical mass of the electron.

Additionally, the mean value of the velocity in the final answer is taken over all possible velocities at a given energy, not just the average velocity of the electrons in the system. This is because the mobility is a measure of how quickly the electrons respond to an applied electric field, and therefore it takes into account all possible velocities.

I hope this clarifies any confusion you may have had. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the classical gas model?

The classical gas model is a simplified theoretical model used to understand the behavior of gases at the microscopic level. It assumes that gas particles are point-like and interact with each other through collisions.

What is the significance of charged particles in classical gas?

Charged particles in classical gas play a significant role in the transport properties of the gas, such as electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity. They also contribute to the overall kinetic energy and pressure of the gas.

How do charged particles move in a classical gas?

Charged particles in a classical gas move in a random motion due to collisions with other particles. This motion is known as Brownian motion and is described by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

What factors affect the mobility of charged particles in a classical gas?

The mobility of charged particles in a classical gas is affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the temperature of the gas, and the size and charge of the particles.

How is the mobility of charged particles measured in a classical gas?

The mobility of charged particles in a classical gas can be measured using experimental techniques such as the drift velocity method or the Einstein relation method. These methods involve measuring the displacement of charged particles under the influence of an electric field.