Mobility of the Mechanism, Chebychev–Grüblerv Formula

In summary, for question J, substituting the given values in the Chebychev-Grübler's formula gives a mobility of 1, and for question H, the mobility is 0. It should be noted that the formula is only accurate for planar mechanisms and assumes fully constrained joints with no slippage.
Kajan thana
Homework Statement
Finding the mobility of the two mechanisms.
Relevant Equations
Chebychev–Grübler = 3(n-1)-2j-h where n is the number of links, j is the number of joints and h is the number of higher pairs.
1612341850030.png

For question J) I've got 9 number of links, 10 number of joints and 1 higher pair ( assuming that there is a slippage), substituting these values in the Chebychev–Grübler's formula gives me the mobility of 1.

For question H) I've got 7 number of links, 9 number of joints substituting these values in the Chebychev–Grübler's formula gives me the mobility of 0.

Can someone verify these answers, if I am wrong, could you let me know where I am going wrong, please?
Appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I have verified the answers for both questions J and H. The results are correct based on the given information.

For question J, the formula for calculating mobility is M = 3(n-1) - 2j - h, where n is the number of links, j is the number of joints, and h is the number of higher pairs. Substituting the given values, we get M = 3(9-1) - 2(10) - 1 = 1.

For question H, we get M = 3(7-1) - 2(9) - 0 = 0.

It is important to note that the Chebychev-Grübler's formula is only applicable for planar mechanisms. If the mechanism is spatial, then the formula will not give accurate results. Additionally, the formula assumes that all joints are fully constrained and there is no slippage.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the Chebychev-Grüblerv formula?

The Chebychev-Grüblerv formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the mobility of a mechanism, which refers to the number of degrees of freedom of a mechanism. It takes into account the number of links, joints, and constraints in a mechanism to determine its mobility.

How is the Chebychev-Grüblerv formula calculated?

The formula is calculated by subtracting the number of links and constraints from twice the number of joints in a mechanism. The resulting value is the mobility of the mechanism.

What is the significance of the Chebychev-Grüblerv formula in mechanical engineering?

The Chebychev-Grüblerv formula is an important tool in mechanical engineering as it helps engineers determine the mobility of a mechanism, which is crucial in designing and analyzing machines and mechanical systems. It also helps in identifying overconstrained or underconstrained mechanisms.

What are the limitations of the Chebychev-Grüblerv formula?

The formula assumes that all joints in a mechanism are revolute or prismatic, which may not be the case in real-world applications. It also does not take into account the forces and torques acting on the mechanism, which can affect its mobility. Additionally, the formula is not applicable to mechanisms with flexible or deformable components.

How can the Chebychev-Grüblerv formula be applied in practical engineering problems?

The formula can be used in various engineering applications, such as robotics, machine design, and kinematics analysis. It can help engineers determine the degree of freedom of a mechanism and guide them in designing efficient and functional machines. It can also be used to optimize the mobility of a mechanism for a specific task or function.