Mod-11 Ripple Counter Homework: Solve Error w/T Flip-Flops

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a mod-11 ripple counter using T, D, and JK flip flops and standard logic gates, with the use of Quartus II simulation software. The individual has successfully created a circuit and simulation, but is facing an issue with the third bit not resetting to 0 when it reaches decimal 11. The potential cause of this issue is a race condition and a possible solution is to add another flip flop in the reset path to hold the signal for half a clock period.
Bryan52803

Homework Statement

Create a mod-11 ripple counter using Flip flops and standard logic gates. Only usable flipflops are T,D, and JK. I've used T.

Homework Equations

Using Quartus II simulation software

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the block diagram all done and the simulation. Everything works fine. Except! When the 4 bits get to decimal 11(when its supposed to reset back to 0), it does with every T-flip flop except the third bit. So the decimal when it "resets" is equal to 4, not zero. It actually changes the third bit from 0, to 1 prematurely. I've attached the block diagram and the simulation waveform file with the error pointed out. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the reset input works, but unfortunately I have a very poor teacher and the class is usually left to fend for itself in terms of teaching and clarification.

Bryan

Attachments

• prob1.bmp
    291.9 KB · Views: 2,869
  • prob2.bmp
    273.8 KB · Views: 1,397
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is why nobody wants to use ripple counters, they're awful!
There's nothing wrong with your circuit, you can see that with symmetry; you have a problem with bit 3 which should be the same as bit 2 etc. I think the problem is a race condition because the reset pulse is too short, When bit 2 resets it puts a clock pulse into bit 3 which toggles it. Since 11dec = 1011bin, bit 3 switches from 0→1, all of the other bits would switch from 1→0, which you wouldn't notice.
You could try adding another FF in the reset path to hold that signal for 1/2 clock period. But the reset must go away before the next clock input.

1. What is a mod-11 ripple counter?

A mod-11 ripple counter is a type of digital circuit that counts up to the number 11 in binary form.

2. How does a mod-11 ripple counter work?

A mod-11 ripple counter works by using a series of T flip-flops to store and propagate the count signal. Each T flip-flop divides the input frequency by 2, so multiple flip-flops are needed to reach a count of 11.

3. What is the purpose of using T flip-flops in a mod-11 ripple counter?

T flip-flops are used in a mod-11 ripple counter because they can divide the input frequency by 2, which is necessary to create a binary count sequence. They also have a toggle function that allows for the count to change on each clock pulse.

4. How do you solve an error in a mod-11 ripple counter with T flip-flops?

If there is an error in a mod-11 ripple counter, it could be due to a faulty T flip-flop or incorrect wiring. To solve the error, you should check each T flip-flop individually and make sure they are all functioning properly. You should also double check the wiring to ensure it is correct.

5. Can a mod-11 ripple counter be used for other counting sequences?

Yes, a mod-11 ripple counter can be modified to count in different sequences by changing the number of flip-flops used and the values of the inputs. For example, by using 4 flip-flops and adjusting the inputs, it can count in a mod-16 sequence.