1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mod 13 ripple counter

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1

d_b

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working on this problem but everytime I tried to walk through my answer it doesn't seem right.

I wanted to built a ripple counter, up counter with mod 13 using D flip flop.

2. Relevant equations

present state ABCD - 0000-->1101
    next state ABCD - 0001-->0000

Q(t+1) = Dq

3. The attempt at a solution

I first built the state diagram going from 0000 to 1101 then back to 0000.

Now the text book said to use take the compliments of the output from the D flip flop. So what I did I took the compliment of the output(next state) and the unused state (14 and 15 as don't care) and by k-map i constructed a formula for the 4 D-FF. However as soon as I hit 13(1101) it will not go back to 0000.

The other approach is: I took the output from the next state and the unsued state(1110 and 1111 as don't care states), using k-map again i constructed a formula for the sum of product of the 4 D-FF. But agian it will not go from 1101 to 0000.

Then I redo it by using complements output of the next state with k-map to built the formula for the FFs without the unused state and it still doesn't work.

I redo it agian by using output of the next state with k-map to built the formula for the FFs without the unused state and still doesn't work.

I know that I'm doing something wrong during the process, however I'm not sure howelse to built this FFs.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

d_b

oh...this is not a homework either, its my exam review questions.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook