1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mod of Sine Equation

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Guy records data of person using a swing. Comes up with an equation to show his findings: y = 1.6sin(1.8x - 0.9) + 2.5

What does each number represent in relation to the situation (person swinging)?

2. Relevant equations

Don't think any equations are needed for this. But it's good to know that above equation is derived from y = asin(bx - c) + d

a - vertical stretch/shrink
    b - horizontal stretch/shrink
    c - horizontal shift
    d - vertical shift

3. The attempt at a solution

This one's been killin me. Since the variable 'd' represents the vertical shift, I was guessing the 1.6 may represent the distance the person's off of the ground. And since 'a' is the vertical stretch/shrink, maybe that could represent the maximum height or something. I have no idea what 'b' and 'c' will represent.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, note that the sine wave oscillates between -1 and +1. So, 1.6 sin (...) oscillates between -1.6 and +1.6.

If you take something that oscillates between -1.6 and +1.6, and add 2.5 to it, then it oscillates between -1.6 + 2.5 and 1.6 + 2.5.

- Warren

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    There is a relationship between b and the period of the function. Assuming this is a vertical position versus time function, the horizontal shift c is often called a phase shift and tells where equilibrium (y = 0 for a sine function) is in relation to the clock. With no phase shift, the function will be at a maximum at t = pi/2, a minimum at t = 3pi/3, etc.,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?