1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Mode of energy transfer

1. Jul 16, 2016 #1
    I read a line in the book "Quantum physics of atoms, molecules, solids, nuclei, and particles" by resnick

The line is "in classical physics energy is either Transported by waves or by particles"

I have doubt is it correct, like we say eneegy is stored in electric feild, is electric feild considered as wave.

And is the statement true without any exception (classical physics)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I also would disagree with the statement. For example in a DC circuit there are no waves, but the Poynting vector shows that energy is transported through the static field.

4. Jul 18, 2016 #3
    Energy is certainly stored in a static electric field, but if it has to be transported, it has to be either by EM waves, or through a current carried by charged particles (electrons)

5. Jul 18, 2016 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 1, 2017 #5
    I know this is late, and I might be a little off the comprehension track, but in that quotation from "Quantum physics ...etc." by Resnick, isn't the author alluding to the duality ... i.e. does an electron (functioning in the same manner as a photon of light) behave as a wave or a particle at the sub-atomic level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted