Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Model a chemical system

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm doing a chemistry report and I'm attempting to model a chemical system. However, the formulae I'm coming up with looks rather ugly and complicated I was wondering if there was any way I could simplify it. I can't see any way though.

I have come up with:
    [tex] SQ = \sqrt{\frac{CL^2 + 2CL + 1}{4CD^2} + \frac{2TC}{CD}}[/tex]

Now that doesn't look too bad, but then I've got to subsitute it into this:
    [tex]\frac{dR}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1 + CL}{4CD\cdot SQ} \cdot \frac{dTG}{dt} [/tex]

Which to me looks horrible. Can anyone help? I am confident at doin the subsitution, but I think that its gona look rather ugly. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    i don't really see any obvious simplification, becides cancling the C's in the second part of the sqrt. sometimes nasty squations are a part of life. The best advice I can offer is to work as much as you can using SQ in the equation instead of actually writing in what SQ is, and then substituting it in when possible.

~Lyuokdea

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunatly [itex]CL[/itex] and [itex]CD[/itex] etc are single terms, so the C's cannotbe cancelled :(. Thanks anyway :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook