1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model a chemical system

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm doing a chemistry report and I'm attempting to model a chemical system. However, the formulae I'm coming up with looks rather ugly and complicated I was wondering if there was any way I could simplify it. I can't see any way though.

I have come up with:
    [tex] SQ = \sqrt{\frac{CL^2 + 2CL + 1}{4CD^2} + \frac{2TC}{CD}}[/tex]

Now that doesn't look too bad, but then I've got to subsitute it into this:
    [tex]\frac{dR}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1 + CL}{4CD\cdot SQ} \cdot \frac{dTG}{dt} [/tex]

Which to me looks horrible. Can anyone help? I am confident at doin the subsitution, but I think that its gona look rather ugly. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    i don't really see any obvious simplification, becides cancling the C's in the second part of the sqrt. sometimes nasty squations are a part of life. The best advice I can offer is to work as much as you can using SQ in the equation instead of actually writing in what SQ is, and then substituting it in when possible.

~Lyuokdea

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunatly [itex]CL[/itex] and [itex]CD[/itex] etc are single terms, so the C's cannotbe cancelled :(. Thanks anyway :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?