1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model Airplane Question

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Model Airplane Question - centripetal acceleration and summing forces

A model airplane of mass 0.760 kg flies in a horizontal circle at the end of a 58.0 m control wire, with a speed of 35.0 m/s. Compute the tension in the wire if it makes a constant angle of 20.0° with the horizontal. The forces exerted on the airplane are the pull of the control wire, the gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift, which acts at 20.0° inward from the vertical as shown in Figure P6.71.

OK, ive been working on this one for 20 minutes and i have no idea. last question left on my problem set.

I found the centripetal acceleration by finding the radius of the circle in which the plane flies--since it flies on an angle on the string, i found this to be 54.40 m (NOT the 58m from the question--is this right?) my centripetal Acceleration was 22.47m/s^2

Next i summed the forces, got
    SUM(Fr)=> Ac = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)
    SUM(Fy)=> Tsin(theta)+W=Fcos(theta)

from here i solved the 2nd equation for "F" and pluged it into the first, solved for t. I got 18.56, which is wrong. Any ideas? Im sure i missed some thing small, thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

rsk

Fc = Tcos20 + Flsin20

mg = -Tsin20 + Flcos20 with Fl = life, surely?

I don't think you have to solve for Fl, just calculate Fc then get Fl in terms of T and just solve for T.

Do you know what the answer should be?

Sorry - edited after looking more closely at picture...

4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    that is effectively what i did. i got Fl in terms of T and plugged it in, had the same equations you did. no, dont know what the answer should be, it is an online webassign assignment which you get 5 chances to get the right answer. i have 3 wrong so far

5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    is Fc the same as centripetal acceleration? v^2/r?

6. Nov 2, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

You wrote:

SUM(Fr)=> Ac = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)

while you probably ment

SUM(Fr)=> Fc = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)

where

[tex]F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

I did follow the same procedure as you but got a different answer.
    Best you show all the steps so that we can comment on your work.

What is very interesting about my final formula - just before calculating the tension in the string - is that this formula suggest that if the airplane flew in a circle inclined at [tex]20^o[/tex] to the horizontal (in the plane of the direction of the sting, that is if the hobbyist stood on a platform and let it fly in a plane inclined at twenty degrees w.r.t. the horizontal in stead of a horizontal plane as in the problem) with the same speed the tension (when the airplane is at the top of this inclined plane- at point B) would be exactly the same as the case is with the stated problem you are trying to solve.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?