1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model Lunar Lander

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Model "Lunar Lander"

How hard do you think it would be to develop a small scale computer controlled vertical take-off and landing machine?

Do you think it could be done without using extremely high powered rockets?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Model "Lunar Lander"

How "hard" it is depends on your level of expertise and your resources. If you have $50 million dollars and a hundred engineers and technicians at your disposal, it should be a piece of cake!

And yes, it can certainly be done with jet engines or props.

4. Jan 9, 2009 #3

DavidSnider

Gold Member

No I'm thinking more like a toy. Like a computer controlled RC helicopter except using some other form of lift than propss... I dunno, probably not possible.

5. Jan 9, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Oh, well on that scale it may be possible, though building even a small liquid rocket engine is not for the faint of heart. I would consider that type of project to be about the right level for a multidisciplinary undergraduate engineering senior design team project. For an individual, though, pretty difficult - hundreds of hours of work and a lot to learn unless you are already an accomplished aerospace engineer and computer engineer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?