Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model mechanism

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    hey i have got to make a scaled model of any mechanism that we see around(or maybe we don't sometimes) in the machine shop in under 3 days as our summer training project. we are provided with all the raw stuff and machines that one usually sees in machining shop. i have decided to make a crank and slotted lever mechanism(initially thought of making an air gun put our instructor didn't want me to killo:):devil: anyone arpund:rofl:).
    But if anyone could suggest something more interesting:rolleyes:, i am looking forward to it. please suggest anything that can be made in under 12 hours(thats how much time i have got). i ll start the work on Monday, so i have got 2 days to finalize it. Any suggestion is welcome. i desperately need to do something this time :zzz:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

How about a meat grinder?
    You can do the screw auger on a lathe, the body and cross-bores on a milling machine, the grid on a drill press, and you still get to make your crank for it. :biggrin:
    It's not as dangerous as an airgun, but you can destroy stuff with it. :devil:

4. Jun 8, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

A can crusher, with your own ingenious force multiplier.

5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    meat grinder, can crusher - they are good

7. Jun 8, 2007 #6
    still any mechanism that you people might want to suggest, i have got 2 days b4 i start. so please give me few more ideas
    and thanks berkeman for those links, some yrs back i saw them, but still they are interesting to watch

8. Jun 8, 2007 #7

berkeman

Rats. Beaten out by Danger and Wolram again! :blushing:

9. Jun 8, 2007 #8
    nah, not beaten, actually jack will take some time to build
    pendulum clock and Windmill-powered well water pump, other people are making them
    but hey, remember you have still got 2 days to beat them:tongue2::tongue2::biggrin::biggrin:

10. Jun 8, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know how fast you can work (not just your personal pace, but due to limited machine access), so I also don't know how limited your options are. I'll fire up a few more anyhow.
    log-splitter; fly-ball governor as is seen on old steam engines (or the whole steam engine, if you can manage it); even better, a Sterling engine; pencil sharpener; Ferrari (nah, that's pushing it); telegraph key; milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); construction crane; coffee grinder; music-box; draughting machine; 3 or 4 speed manual transmission; fishing reel; gyroscope; Roots blower; Vise-Grip type pliers... okay, I'm getting tired now.

11. Jun 8, 2007 #10

berkeman

Show-off :biggrin:

12. Jun 8, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, I'm at work... so I've got nothing better to do.

13. Jun 8, 2007 #12
    options are not limited by raw material and machines. i have full access to them
    reciprocating engine mechanism, manual transmission, steering mechanism, vice; i suggested but earlier batches did 'em
    sterling engine, check this out http://www.qrmc.com/hydralinkanimation.gif.
    roots blower; i dont know if i would be able to machine the lobes,(can it be done on CNC, but still we are not allowed to work on CNC)
    milk separator (although most people have never heard of one); i am one of them
    construction crane, governor and gyro are good
    Ferrari; thats pushing me, i would stick to Mclaren Merc:tongue:

14. Jun 8, 2007 #13

wolram

Gold Member

15. Jun 8, 2007 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I don't actually expect you to make one, but for curiosity's sake here's what I mean. Specifically the red one part-way down the page. There's a second link in the description that shows how it works. Basically, it's just a specialized centrifuge.
    http://http://dairyantiques.com/Cream_Separators_1.html
    Actually, I'm quite offended that something I used regularly as a kid is considered a museum piece. :grumpy:

Nice link, by the way; I've never seen an engine like that one.

Wooley, your link doesn't work for me. :frown:

edit: Must be a problem with this stupid work computer. My own link doesn't work for me either.

16. Jun 8, 2007 #15
  17. Jun 8, 2007 #16
    now i remember, my grandma used to have one. it was made of wood and it was quite simple to make actually

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?